Autometer Boost Gauge Wiring
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Autometer Boost Gauge Wiring within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Okay, so I recently installed an Autometer (ESX if that makes a difference) mechanical boost gauge on the steering column ...

Autometer Boost Gauge Wiring

Okay, so I recently installed an Autometer (ESX if that makes a difference) mechanical boost gauge on the steering column (right). The gauge's mechanical part is working. The only problem I face now is wiring the light.

Its not so much where to wire it (i'll probly go with stereo wiring). Its how to actually tap the stereo power. How would I go about actually splicing the wires? Should I use a splicing nut-cap or just strip, twist and e.tape it?

(ps. soldering is not an option as I've no solder tool).

* on another note, is it normal for the needle to return to "start-up" vacuum after accelerator has been released during driving?
    **lastly where should the needle lie in the vacuum area? mine sits around -19 to -18 on start up.

TIA
    --Justin

Hawk-Eye Alliance #128

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Does anyone know?
    --Justin

Hawk-Eye Alliance #128

insted of cutting into the stereo wiring i would go through the ciggeret ligher/12volt power outlet or take a single wire from the batt. fuse it (under hood) 10 or 15 amp should work and then ground the other to firewall or some screw or bolt under the dash. (make sure its a solid ground chip away a lil paint for good contact)

Connect the WHITE light wire to dash lighting circuit or other 12V source.
    Connect the BLACK light wire to a good engine ground. (which applicable

and yes the gauge should be in vacc. untill the turbo spools up and creates boost.

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    3 wires, not two.

Use the stereo, it's easier, and you can always add more gauges later.

Don't "cut" the stereo wires, strip a 1/2 inch piece so that you can splice another wire (or wires) in.

Black will match up..... black goes black.

Your RED stereo wire is your lights.
    Your ORANGE stereo wire is your power.

You should run "about" -15 at idle.

Stock turbo, you should boost between 13 and 14 psi.

Good luck.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/165158-ninfourteeners-progress-thread-pics.html
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

Quote Originally Posted by ninefourteener View Post

Don't "cut" the stereo wires, strip a 1/2 inch piece so that you can splice another wire (or wires) in.
    so just, strip that 1/2" area and slide my gauge wire into the insulation as well and tape off?

Your RED stereo wire is your lights.
    Your ORANGE stereo wire is your power.
    so which one do I tap?

You should run "about" -15 at idle.

Stock turbo, you should boost between 13 and 14 psi.
    strange, on idle the needle sits at about -19.
    And going through the gears the needle shudders around 5-8 psi, do you think I have some kind of leak in the line? does heat adversely affect the vacuum line in any way?

sorry for all the questions
    --Justin

Hawk-Eye Alliance #128

go with the orange one.this means every time you will turn your lights on the gauge light go on to.red wire is a constant 12v witch means that the light would always be on.
    2003 wrx Wagon
    1993 Civic coupe type-R

thanks »ja(v)es«
    --Justin

Hawk-Eye Alliance #128

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.