No bueno
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on No bueno within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So there has been this puddle forming in my back seat and hasn't stopped. I assumed it was coming from ...

No bueno

So there has been this puddle forming in my back seat and hasn't stopped. I assumed it was coming from the back (bad assumption) it's coming from a broken ac line under my dash near my ecu. Anyone know where its supposed to connect to? There is a small hole in the firewall it fits, but im not sure if it's just supposed to be pushed through or something. I'm really lucky my ecu isn't fried. Please can anyone help?

"M3 drivers have no friends..." - Jeremy Clarkson

"If something sounds too good to be true, it's best to shoot it to make sure" - Fiona Glenanne

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Its seems like you're in luck. That's not an A/C line. That's a drain line. Go on the motor's side of the firewall and look to the left of the downpipe. There should be more of that rubber tubing there, pointing down.

Non-Subaru downpipes sometimes melt the external portion of the tubing. Yours seems to have problems on the inside. I've not seen it before on Imprezas, but it does happen.

EDIT: If you're asking where it connects on the inside, look for a "nipple" on the black plastic "basin" housing on the outside of the HVAC unit behind and below the glove compartment.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 08-14-2008 at 01:51 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thank you for the quick response, the water actually fried my amp today... luckily the amp was under warranty

"If something sounds too good to be true, it's best to shoot it to make sure" - Fiona Glenanne

I Support ClubWRX
    Does the amp get hot? It'd probably be worthwhile to figure out why the tubing failed. It can melt when exposed to heat (as shown by the melting due to downpipes on the "outside") but why did it fail on the inside? Did something rub against it? Did something heat it up?
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    My guess is that when the downpipe was installed someone cut it too short and it worked its way inside. It should go through the hole in the firewall you mentioned, push it back through and secure it somehow so it doesn't come in again.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    It looks like the inside fitting has come off, or the inside portion of the pipe is cut because the length left points toward the console and the loose end is under where the inside fitting should be. The OP will have to check which end is loose though, you are right.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Does the amp get hot? It'd probably be worthwhile to figure out why the tubing failed. It can melt when exposed to heat (as shown by the melting due to downpipes on the "outside") but why did it fail on the inside? Did something rub against it? Did something heat it up?
    Well I looked and there was no tubing near the firewall in the engine bay. Does the tube feed through the firewall like this?

Because if it does im sure the dp melted it. There is no loose tubing anywhere in the area

I Support ClubWRX
    Exactly like that, yes. Mycologist was correct.

Figure out a way to keep the tube there and prevent it from backing out again.

Thanks again for the quick response's, y'all are the ****. Nothing a lil duck tape couldn't fix. So will that tube melt from the dp, or does it have a high temperature rating? If not I'll replace it with something more durable, that can take the heat.

I Support ClubWRX
    Or possibly replace the tube so it is the correct length, then there are a number of ways to fasten it out of the way without crimping it. Mine goes off to the right (passenger's side) and is zip tied. BTW, do have a turbo heat shield? Good thing to get if not.

I Support ClubWRX
    It will melt if touching, but mine has only ~1/2 inch clearance and is doing fine for over a year.

No i dont have a heat shield, where does that line lead to exactly? Does it just drain to the ground or does it connect to something else?

Edit - Sorry didnt see it close enough it just drains to the ground right?
    Last edited by Crb03; 08-14-2008 at 02:32 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, it should go to the ground. I have seen some that are just pushed over onto that rail, but it will puddle there and I can't tolerate that.

Sweet, thanks again I'll probably end up getting some neoprene hose to replace it.

I Support ClubWRX

You'll have a lot more room - mine is DWG and it sticks over further, plus it flares out for the cat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast