Blue LED Conversion - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Blue LED Conversion within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; well what i planned on doing was too make the air controls all white, then make the speedometer/rpms and such ...

well what i planned on doing was too make the air controls all white, then make the speedometer/rpms and such all white with the red needle...but is there just a greed light "condom" over the stock bulbs or do i have to buy new bulbs for those..does anyone know?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Drummer829 View Post
    well what i planned on doing was too make the air controls all white, then make the speedometer/rpms and such all white with the red needle...but is there just a greed light "condom" over the stock bulbs or do i have to buy new bulbs for those..does anyone know?
    Theres actually the green bulb covers and a green film behind the cluster faces that shades the parts that are normally lit when you turn the lights on.
    --Justin

Hawk-Eye Alliance #128

did we ever get a checklist of all the bulbs needed?? quanity & model #(s)????

dash??
    a/c controls??
    doors (all 4)??

basically to do a complete color change.

is it possible to just take those off, or will it mess up somethings?

Quote Originally Posted by cam.rex.03 View Post
    did you use the T1.5-x LED bulbs #74 type bulbs in a twist lock socket base? or the 74-x wedge base bulb?

^i want to know the same thing. Im doing mine in red. I just ordered mine in the twist lock base, hope thats right.....

if any of you are interested, im actually getting a custom made gauge face made by a guy. his website is ledmod.com. he doesnt have any subaru pics up, but look at the scion tc custom gauges to get an idea of what he does.

this isnt the right car lol..but im getting something like this, the bottom picture is what it will look like at night
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails custom gauge.jpg   custom gauge 2.jpg  

just changed my hvac lights to white and matched it with my indash. it looks really nice and goes well with the silver exterior...im getting my dashboard custom made white and black to match my white lights..(picture isnt the greatest, just an idea for you people who want it)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dash light.jpg  

HID Projector Headlight Retrofit for Subaru, Honda, BMW, Scion and More | LightWerkz.net

That one!!! I want to do that, can anyone tell me what bulbs those are?

Also, did you use a Current Limiting resistor? or was this unnecessary, i could not find what you were talking about on SuperBrightLED

Thanks in Advance

EDIT: I'm dumb, I found the 12volt lights for cars, now i just need to know which ones to go behind the HVAC controls, I have the Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD so i can adjust the colors on it, to red, now i just need to match the HVAC!!!!!!!
    Last edited by JMikolich; 04-19-2009 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SoccStud9 View Post
    ^i want to know the same thing. Im doing mine in red. I just ordered mine in the twist lock base, hope thats right.....
    did the twist lock base bulbs work?

you dont need the twist lock things that cost like a dollar, you just pull out the bulb with some needle nosed pliers (careful not to break it) and put the other ones in

okay well i pulled the HVAC Cluster.

4 black screws to separate it from the Interior Trim...

Then 5 silver screws to pull out the PCB with the dials on it, then 3 small retaining clips to separate the dial into pieces.. but now there is not a replaceable LED??!??!?

Unless I"m looking in the wrong spot... i see nothing that is replaceable, a see a few SMD LED's but ?!?!?!?!?

Anyone have any insight? is it under the big silver ring? would a pic help?

Car is an 06 STI btw

EDIT: Okay so it is 3 white Surface mounted LED's with one amber LED to illuminate the dial position,
    This makes me wonder how to get red, since there is obviously a green film then on the actual dial... hmm

Thoughts?
    Last edited by JMikolich; 04-20-2009 at 07:36 PM.

ah damn, i have an 04 wrx..mine was a little less complicated than what that sounds like

fixed my problems....
    Last edited by Impreza2.0; 08-08-2009 at 02:23 PM.

To remove the instrument cluster, first lower your steering wheel to the bottom-most position. There are 2 screws up under the cowling/hood of the cluster, #3 Phillips type. Remove them and store them in the center console cupholder. There are two plastic clips holding the bottom of the cluster hood in place. Gently but firmly pull the hood down and out of the cluster tunnel. It takes some figuring out, but it will flex and slide out from behind the wheel. This will expose the lens and frame assembly. The gauges are secure in this, and it should be kept together. It can be easily separated, but dust, fingerprints, whatever, can ruin it. You definitely do not want to touch the needles. I realize that some overlay manufacturers actually instruct you to do so, but ours are Bronze Bourdon movements, and extremely precise and sensitive. You have my warning. Back to the cluster... There are three plugs along the top of the white section of the gauge cluster iteself, they are not easily visible without looking up through the steering wheel, but they are some heavy duty plugs with serious clips. Once you have removed the three #3 Philips screws holding the white gauge casing to the metal frame of the dashboard, it will be possible to extract it a couple of inches, enough to reach those plugs. The plugs and their respective wire will be all that is holding the gauge casing in, so one at a time, with a lot of care, push the buttons on them and pop them out. You can mark which one goes where, but it is relatively obvious that the one on the right goes to the right, etc., some folks really take a long time with this, and overnight it can be forgotten what was done, so it is a good idea. Now you've got the cluster in your hand, free of the car. Since it is a couple of thousand pounds lighter, and doesn't take up so much room (joke), no one will mind you working on the car in the house. You definitely want a clean, well lit area, with quiet and peace. Concentration is the key to a clean cluster installation. Next we're going to talk about LEDs.

You want the teeny ones. T1. They are wicked tiny. I found the best ones anywhere on Earth are in New Zealand, at a place called NeoGaugeLEDs. They will sell you a kit specific to the WRX, or STi, and if you are cool to them, or offer a few extra bucks, they will send you a ton of them. You are going to want a few more than necessary, I will explain why later.

T1.5 is too big. Way too big.

T1, or Subaru WRX specific ones from NeoGauge.

If you go with T1, and use the bulb sockets from the old bulbs in the cluster, it can be tricky to orient the resistors to fit correctly without issue. I prefer the aftermarket variety in this instance. There are a few in the dash that must be made custom.

Back to installing them...

There are little "twist lock bases" in the cluster, on the back. You should be able to see what they light by removing them, if you have the wrong hole, all of the cluster bulbs are incandescent and nonpolar, so you don't have to worry about positive and negative with those, they will light on the first plug-in. By now you have searched NASIOC and ClubWRX for all of the old gauge threads, and have some idea what is what, so finding these should be easy. If you have to, use a flashlight, and take everything out. Replace what isn't gauge lamp, and we can go back to the car with your potentially awesome new lighting modification.

Next, it's time to put the cluster back in. If the plastic lens came off, or if it has dust in the push-rod hole(s), or any other debris, now is the time to make sure it is as clean as a dentist's workbench. Every speck of dust and lint will seem like a monster, so be really thorough here. Flat black plastic attracts lint and dust like a magnet, literally. It has a static charge that will do this. Cleaning hands with dishsoap before each step is a good idea.

Back to the car with the cluster. Only plug it in, no screws. Turn it on, and see how many of the twist-locks are in "backwards" it is a tricky illusion, it feels like they are one-pole, but it is possible to put them in with the terminals reversed. For each one that is not lit, make a note, then unplug and turn the twist-locks back out and rotate them 180 degrees. Once this is done, plug it back in and delight at the correct-as-heck lights in the dash.

If you are going to add an AutoMeter Gauge Bezel, this is the time to do it, get it cleaned up, painted, whatever you are going to do to it to prep it... once you are satisfied with the white framed section and it's contents, screw it back into the frame of the dash (three #3 Philips). Next is the lens (unless you did this with the lens on, at which point you will want to get rid of the fingerprints from knuckles rubbing it). Last is the bezel/cover, the part which AutoMeter makes a really fine replacement for (about $60 from a few good vendors, I will list links below).

If you are going to add gauges to this area, get back to me, I can help here too.

Next is the AC control center. It is behind the big bezel cover which surrounds the radio, cupholder, hazard button, etc..

It actually comes out really easily, but be careful with the soft foam dash padding, use a wide plastic paint scraper with really clean blade, and go slowly. The whole piece unclips with several pops. Once off, the control center has 4 #3 Philips screws holding it into a plastic frame. Remove these, store them in the cupholder. The panel is held in place with endless hoses and such, don't bother with any of that. The front white plastic panel is attached to it's caseback with several clips which you should be able to separate with a fingernail. This will expose the bulb sockets. Same as with the cluster, trial and error, getting the polarity right on the LEDs. The LEDs will plug right into the stock bulb plugs. Once those are lighting properly, installation is same as reverse.

Door switches are something you have to remove the door panels to do, so get the #3 Philips driver, and a panel popper (or plastic spatula) and remove your door panel. The lighting to this is a flathead #2 cover with either a green or gray plastic round body, it is about 1/4" across. Hard to see, but once you know what it is, hard to miss.

Same installation instructions as the rest, T1 LED, whatever color you like.

I really don't recommend color changing LEDs for the dash. They burn out faster than monochromatic diodes, they attract unwanted attention, and can be a distraction in hazardous driving conditions (driving in a rainstorm with a light show in the dashboard sounds like trouble to me).

To directly answer your last question, the whole car uses the same incandescent 12v light type, only the dome lights have a larger bulb type, but still use 12v DC switched at 10a.

Since I am having to send this in parts, the next message will include links to parts vendors for this stuff.

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate, it's a cool weekend to play with the car...

A good question:
    When you open the insturment cluster up, is there LED's that light up the Odometer, or is that a digital display that will need to be custom made/bought to the color desired?

ROFL @ Light show in the rain.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast