Blue LED Conversion - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Blue LED Conversion within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; how much soldering did you have to do?...

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    how much soldering did you have to do?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Pactin View Post
    Hey 321wings, do you think there is a way to keep the redline red? (as in project only red light on 6k - 8k using red leds). Or is there a red film where the redline is?
    If you want to add more LED's than stock, you can make anything any color. It's just gonna be a lot more work. I didn't add any bulbs to the stock cluster; I just replaced the florescent bulbs with blue #74 LED's. You could add others, and then hard wire them into the parking light circuit so they come on just like your dash lights, but it'd be hard. I tried to make the needles glow orange with a single orange LED for each needle, but once I got the cluster apart, I wasn't sure how I would do it, so instead of possibly ruining my gauges, I put it back together and left it.

Quote Originally Posted by treq18 View Post
    how many did you end up needing? and did you get the T1.5's?
    I used 2 in the HVAC controls and 12-14 bulbs in the cluster. That took care of blinkers, high beams, E-brake, cruise, odometer, outside temp, and basic lighting. The bulbs I used were #74 which are the same as T1.5's.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    how much soldering did you have to do?
    Absolutely none, since I just replaced the stock bulbs, the only thing I had to do was take out the stock bulbs and put in LED's. It's just replacing bulbs, no wiring, soldering, or frustration. Well, kind of. LED's are polar and won't work if they're hooked up backwards (the positive lead has to be on the positive input, for florescent bulbs, they can be hooked up either way). I had to swap all the bulbs, plug it in, find out which ones didn't light up, take the dash out and turn the bulbs around.
    Last edited by 321wings; 08-19-2008 at 08:19 AM. Reason: quotes were messed up

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 321wings View Post
    If you want to add more LED's than stock, you can make anything any color. It's just gonna be a lot more work. I didn't add any bulbs to the stock cluster; I just replaced the incandescent bulbs with blue #74 LED's. You could add others, and then hard wire them into the parking light circuit so they come on just like your dash lights, but it'd be hard. I tried to make the needles glow orange with a single orange LED for each needle, but once I got the cluster apart, I wasn't sure how I would do it, so instead of possibly ruining my gauges, I put it back together and left it.

I used 2 in the HVAC controls and 12-14 bulbs in the cluster. That took care of blinkers, high beams, E-brake, cruise, odometer, outside temp, and basic lighting. The bulbs I used were #74 which are the same as T1.5's.

Absolutely none, since I just replaced the stock bulbs, the only thing I had to do was take out the stock bulbs and put in LED's. It's just replacing bulbs, no wiring, soldering, or frustration. Well, kind of. LED's are polar and won't work if they're hooked up backwards (the positive lead has to be on the positive input, for incandescent bulbs, they can be hooked up either way). I had to swap all the bulbs, plug it in, find out which ones didn't light up, take the dash out and turn the bulbs around.

Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

Looks awesome. Isn't that blue a little hard on the eyes at night? I think i may just do the same with my HVAC controls except in red. You wouldn't by chance know if it is the same #74's you would use in an 05 STi would you?
    Bugeye Mafia #231 - 2002 WRB - sold Dec 31, 2009
    -Stink-Eye Mob- #173 - 2008 SWP - Returned to TD04 Stage 2 in Jan 2012
    Frmr Blobeye Syndicate #173 - 2005 CGM -sold Sept 15, 2008. I miss my STi
    Proud owner of 99 RS coupe with EJ205 engine and tranny swap.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ05 View Post
    Looks awesome. Isn't that blue a little hard on the eyes at night? I think i may just do the same with my HVAC controls except in red. You wouldn't by chance know if it is the same #74's you would use in an 05 STi would you?
    It's actually not bad at all. If you end up doing it, however, the LED's can dim just like the stock bulbs.

As far as the STI having the same, I would guess so. It's a pretty generic bulb for the dash. I have an old GL-86 that I had to steal one of the bulb holders out of and it was the same thing.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Where do you find the #74s? I'm on SUPER BRIGHT LEDS home and all I can find as far as part numbers looks like this "RL5-B4630".

And there is no "T1.5" only "T-1 3/4".

What am I missing here? I'm looking for blue bulbs to replace the HVAC bulbs. Are those 3mm or 5mm?

edit/nevermind.. just needed to search
    Last edited by MainFrame; 09-03-2008 at 01:52 PM.

i was thinking of doing red because it would look cool but also not destroy my night vision when i get in at night

good mod right there, I did this myself a few years ago on my 02!

Anyone looking to do this can find the stuff cheap online, or if you hate to wait, hit up RadioShack.
    PS3/360 ID: Zapix

MIA Western Mass Impreza Club / MIA Connecticut Impreza Club

My 2002 WRB WRX

2003 Northeast Subaru Impreza Club Regional Meet

Looks nice. Kinda hard to see the needles though.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Just finished installing my HVAC lights.

where do you find new dash gauge/lights at, i cant find them anywhere and id love some help changing that ugly green

Has anyone used red? Do they look pinkish?
    2006 WRX
    Opensource STG 2, Epic Engineering
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #032

http://s258.photobucket.com/home/joesubaru7/index
    DD: 2001 2.5RS
    Old: 1998 2.5RS [url]

did you use the T1.5-x LED bulbs #74 type bulbs in a twist lock socket base? or the 74-x wedge base bulb?

Quote Originally Posted by treq18 View Post
    ya that does look sick. I like the blue. I am trying to stay with a red scheme. I wonder how red would turn out?
    if you are looking for pictures of the red and even some blue, look at this web site, they have some nice lights here...
    HID Projector Headlight Retrofit for Subaru, Honda, BMW, Scion and More | LightWerkz.net

[QUOTE=MainFrame;2346726]Just finished installing my HVAC lights.

now you need blue pillar guages

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast