Short Throw Shifters

This is a discussion on Short Throw Shifters within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I currently own a 2002 WRX and loved the shifter on it until I drove a 2007 STI and noticed ...

Short Throw Shifters

I currently own a 2002 WRX and loved the shifter on it until I drove a 2007 STI and noticed the shifting was much faster and smoother. I know I have a short throw shifter, (like every WRX) but wondered why there was such a dramatic difference between my car and the STI. Would aftermarket short throw shifters help with this situation?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    i've always found the stock wrx and sti shifter to feel smoother than any aftermarket. my aftermarket kartboy is pretty rough and notchy (i bought the shifter bushing but never put them on which is probably why its not as smooth as it could be) but.. yeah

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    You know that the 6-speed tranny in the STI is a completely different unit from the 5-speed in the WRX, right? I've heard before that it's much more slick-shifting than the WRX.. no personal experience, unfortunately.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kokoshoe View Post
    I know I have a short throw shifter, (like every WRX)
    WRXs do not come with a short throw shifter. It was offered in the US as an option, not standard.

but wondered why there was such a dramatic difference between my car and the STI.
    Different gearboxes.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

DUB
    Like SD said, all WRXs did NOT come w/ a SS shifter. Did you buy the car new from the dealer? If not, did the previous owner tell you it had a SS shifter. To know for sure, pull up your center console and actually look at the shifter. If it is gold in color, then it is the factory installed short shift kit.

The best thing you can do for the feel of your WRX's shifter is to install a short shifter, if you don't already have one, and hardened front & rear shifter bushings.

I have the short throw in my car ,it came with the normal one last like two weeks and replaced it. man what a difference.