In Dash Gps
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on In Dash Gps within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey yall...I am looking to get an in dash GPS/DVD/CD in my new 08 wrx...I went with the premium package ...

In Dash Gps

Hey yall...I am looking to get an in dash GPS/DVD/CD in my new 08 wrx...I went with the premium package as I assumed I could get a GPS system for cheaper than the 2000 subaru wanted to charge...

I am looking at the Kenwood DNX5120 right now because it has Garmin and it has the most favroable reviews...and because my budget is 1000 for this unit

Any other thoughts on GPS systems or any pics of what they look like your car?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Peachypumpkincheeks

My thoughts on this subject is to get a portable GPS system instead and save yourself a lot of money!

While the in-dash units are pretty, the portable units are just as functional for cheaper, plus they have the added benefit of being portable! You can get a top of the line one for under $600, and a helluva good one for under $400 (my sweet sweet baby was $349).

Instead I'd get a decent audio system in my car so it's MP3 compatible, etc. Then get a portable GPS system so you can take it out of the car (less of a worry headache that your car will get broken into), you won't always have to drive on trips because you can bring the portable GPS into any car, and best of all, you can use the GPS on-foot so if you're touristing a new area you can find all the best Points-of-Interest including restaurants and landmarks at the touch of a button.

But that's just my $.02

Otherwise I liked the Poineer AVIC in-dash system, but I went with portable so I can only give reviews on that.

Garmin Nuvi 350 ftw!
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

I have the Kenwood DNX 7100, which you can get at etronics for $918. It's a great unit, and since it has the Garmin system it really is great for navigation. I'd really suggest you go with the DNX8120 though. It is 1143 at etronics, but you get the built in bluetooth, and that's really nice to have. I have it with my but it is an added on accessory.

Although the portable are really nice, and indeed can move from car to car, there are very credible reasons not to choose that option. The best thing about the in dash is that you don't have to worry about charging the GPS, or putting it away, and getting it back out, taking up window space, falling off the window with the suction cup. It's nice when you are in a town, want to get some where and need to use the gps, just put in your destination, and boom you are navigating, don't have to get the unit out, stick it up, and oh dang it's low on battery plug it in and have that cord hanging down.

2 grand for the Subie Navi, yeah that's a joke 1k for the aftermarket, yeah it's worth it, a toss up really to a portable, but I wouldn't say a portable is better then a in dash or vise versa, it's really just personal choice, having both, I prefer the in dash.

Good luck and if you need help, or have questions if you install one shoot me a message I'd be happy to help out.

Oh, if you want pics I can snap some tonight...
    Last edited by Spincycle; 07-14-2008 at 12:23 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.