Manual Shift Knob question - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Manual Shift Knob question within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Impreza2.0 ...There's no secret to installing these things... they are universal and have adapters. Momo has part ...

Quote Originally Posted by Impreza2.0 View Post
    ...There's no secret to installing these things... they are universal and have adapters. Momo has part reference charts for our car and everything fits great...
    I know there's not. What could be a problem is taking off plastic parts in the wrong order. I have a 2009 WRX and I don't know how to take apart the console where the shifter and e-brake are.

So, are these instructions or images here?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well, AllData included the 2008 and 09 WRX so I could see the info I needed.

Installed my Momo Combat EVO shifter using a the next smaller fitting bushing. It wasn't that small, which provided a screw-on type of installation, like it was OEM.

Next, I thought I would need some adapter to get the boot to stay up, but I just forced it up and used an old metal clip to put some pressure on the plastic cap under the boot.

What's very cool is that the Momo stitch almos matches the WRX boot, so it looks almost OEM.

The e-brake handle is more difficult because the leather is too small. I don't wanna break that boot, so I'm looking at someway to slide it or maybe stitch some elastic under it so it will just stretch and fit.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I just got the Subaru Momo knob, very nice indeed.

As far as taking apart the console.. it's just like taking anything else apart. Identify what's holding it together, remove that, remove the object. You might have to turn some bolts (lefty loosey), but only the ones that are holding the part you are trying to remove. And sometimes other parts are in the way, in that case those parts will have to be removed first.

I wanted to offer this idea for knobs without the Subaru holder. Many knobs have a screw-on cover, like this one from Momo.

I took it to a machine shop to file the top part, which doesn't have threads; if you have a machine with a filing stone maybe you can do it.

Then I screwed on the remaining piece, then on the shifter. Attached the fixing screws and forced the boot (took some working, but it got up).

There, perfect fit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photo0036.jpg   Photo0034.jpg   Photo0039.jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12