Defi Red Racer 52mm vs. 60mm BF series R

This is a discussion on Defi Red Racer 52mm vs. 60mm BF series R within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello, I have been lurking around in the background for a while now. In June, while home on leave(USAF, stationed ...

Defi Red Racer 52mm vs. 60mm BF series R

Hello, I have been lurking around in the background for a while now. In June, while home on leave(USAF, stationed in South Korea), I purchased a 2008 WRX in WRB. It is sitting at home sadly waiting my December return. Anyways, I have searched around and cannot answer a question I have, hoping one of you can for me.
    My WRX didn't come with a boost gauge. However crazy this may seem to me, I need one. I am not afraid of spending a couple bucks on quality things, however I don't like blowing money unneccessarily on pointless things. I am looking at the Defi Red Racer Boost Gauges. They have the Red Racer (Blue Racer Series) boost gauge in red (52mm) and it works without the Defi link system, and is just under $200. The BF-R series boost gauge is 60mm and and must be used with the Defi control unit. The unit is about $100 and the gauge itself is $225.
    In the pictures I have seen, the 60mm gauges look a lot clearer and brighter. The 52mm don't look terrible, but just cheap compared to the 60mm. The question is, is the 60mm and the control unit really that much better and worth the money? Is this just a clever ploy to make people like myself think that the more expensive one that requires more parts is actually better, when the cheaper, stand alone gauge is really the better choice. I know most times 'You get what you pay for' but I like opinions of others (hopefully that know what is going on more than I) to reaffirm.
    Also, I am not really looking into getting other gauges, so that is why I also am leaning more towards the 52mm, if I have room on the control unit for more gauges, my silly side might kick in and make me buy more, and lord knows the wife will dissapprove.
    Anyways, any input would be much appreciated. Here is a link comparing and explaining the two.
    (Can't insert link until post 3... Google "Defi Meters gruppe" ,it's the first link.)
    Also, these forums are fantastic, you guys are a wealth of knowledge to people like myself just getting into Subarus and that want to fiddle with them, but need a little guidance so we don't screw something up royally.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sorry if that counts as linking to a non-approved vendor. It is the only place I could find the explanations side-by-side. Don't purchase anything from there, USE ONLY APPROVED VENDORS! They rock!

I Support ClubWRX
    Save the $$ and get the RR series - not worth the extra $125 for just a boost gauge. I believe the BF series allows you to record with the control unit, but I'm not sure if it does much else
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Yeah, no real need to record what my boost gauge says, still got a pretty good memory. Ha.
    Thanks for your input.