Glove box wont open.

This is a discussion on Glove box wont open. within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So my glove box handle snapped off and i cant get into it =( Im afraid that if i get ...

Glove box wont open.

So my glove box handle snapped off and i cant get into it =( Im afraid that if i get pulled over (i have front tint and no front license plate, so its a possibility.) that my car will get towed, Only because i wont be able to show the officer insurance or registration. Subaru wont be able to look at it until monday. Any ideas of what i could do?

p.s sorry if its the wrong forum.
    2002 bugeye - R.I.P
    2008 hatch - Perrin stage 2

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

DUB
    Can't you just reach in and pull on the unlatching mechanism that the handle previously pulled on?

Option 2: Put on your front license plate and keep your windows rolled down until Monday.

I Support ClubWRX
    Hmmm..I've had to get into broken glove boxes before, but not on a WRX. Can you get a smallish (computer sized) flathead screwdriver into the mechanism somewhere, to push against the release?
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

well there was a little tab on that the handle like pushes down on and when i went to move it, it just cracked off ill look at it a little more.
    2002 bugeye - R.I.P
    2008 hatch - Perrin stage 2

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by morphine16 View Post
    well there was a little tab on that the handle like pushes down on and when i went to move it, it just cracked off ill look at it a little more.
    Do you have a trouble light, or other bright light source handy? You need to be able to look down in there a bit, to see what the handle was pressing against when it pivots.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

So my glove box handle snapped off and i cant get into it =( Im afraid that if i get pulled over (i have front tint and no front license plate, so its a possibility.) that my car will get towed, Only because i wont be able to show the officer insurance or registration. Subaru wont be able to look at it until monday. Any ideas of what i could do?
    Don't drive like an idiot for 2 days so cops don't have any reason to target you? Seems pretty simple to me, or am I missing something.....
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

DUB
    (i have front tint and no front license plate, so its a possibility.)
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Don't drive like an idiot for 2 days so cops don't have any reason to target you? Seems pretty simple to me, or am I missing something.....
    Depending on his state (he doesn't say), those two things may be illegal. Therefore, a cop may pull him over just to hassle him.

Once again, reading comprehension > you.

haha...J/K

Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    Depending on his state (he doesn't say), those two things may be illegal. Therefore, a cop may pull him over just to hassle him.

Once again, reading comprehension > you.

haha...J/K
    I've run without a front plate for years in states where they're required and I've never been stopped for not having one. I only get stopped when I'm doing something stupid. Cops will overlook the little stuff if you just don't drive like an idiot.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    I've run without a front plate for years in states where they're required and I've never been stopped for not having one.
    Yeah, so have I. I haven't had a front plate for about 8 years in OR and CA and never heard one word about it. (I did get pulled over in Washington State for no front plate once ) When I moved to CA the lady at the DMV handed me my plates and said "In CA you need a plate on the front and rear, the reg stickers to on the rear". That kind of scared me, but I still left the front plate off. I have yet to be hassled for it. Other people in CA say they have never been hassled for it either.

However, I have been pulled over for and only for my window tint.

Anyway, to the OP:
    Even if you can't get it open, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Can you print a new insurance card online? I'm sure if you do get pulled over and you just be nice, civilized and explain the situation, you will be fine. They can look up most of that stuff in their computer anyway.