2007 Sti Speaker Upgrade. Sizes? Recomendations?

This is a discussion on 2007 Sti Speaker Upgrade. Sizes? Recomendations? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Sup people I'm thinking about changing out the front and rear speakers in my 07 STI (The stock in dash ...

2007 Sti Speaker Upgrade. Sizes? Recomendations?

Sup people I'm thinking about changing out the front and rear speakers in my 07 STI (The stock in dash six cd changer is GREAT but the stock speakers just plain suck lol) and was just curious as to what the sizes are stock. I'm hearing that the front's are 6.5 " and the rears are 4 ". The Fronts also have a seperate 1" tweeter up near the mirror right? I just wanted to make sure that was correct. I was thinking about going with Infinity but I was wondering some of your all's reccomendations. Also I keep seeing something about spacers and all this stuff when you go to install aftermarket speakers, whats the deal with that? I can understand putting Dynomat behind each speaker, because yes both of my front door panels rattle a little when theres a certain frequency bass and volume level, so I'd like to avoid that as well as have a clean fast and simple install. Let me know guys. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Those sizes are correct for the WRX, not sure about the sti.
    '05 silver WRX
    Blobeye Syndicate #28
    Raammat Soundproof Thread
    The Octane Thread

Those are the same speaker sizes for the STi also.

I do believe the spacers are only necessary if you try to fit speakers that don't work in the stock harness. Check out crutchfield.com to see compatible speakers.

I'm going to be replacing mine here shortly with polk audio dbs
    Bugeye Mafia #231 - 2002 WRB - sold Dec 31, 2009
    -Stink-Eye Mob- #173 - 2008 SWP - Returned to TD04 Stage 2 in Jan 2012
    Frmr Blobeye Syndicate #173 - 2005 CGM -sold Sept 15, 2008. I miss my STi
    Proud owner of 99 RS coupe with EJ205 engine and tranny swap.

The biggest size I seen go in the front is 6.5 in the front and the rear 5.25 keep in mind not all 6.5 speakers will fit I had Alpine type R component that was a NO GO, I settled for 5.25 in the front these speakers are huge and will require some type of custom speaker spacers to fit properly. I wish you good luck with your Mod.

Quote Originally Posted by DnBTactics View Post
    Sup people I'm thinking about changing out the front and rear speakers in my 07 STI (The stock in dash six cd changer is GREAT but the stock speakers just plain suck lol) and was just curious as to what the sizes are stock. I'm hearing that the front's are 6.5 " and the rears are 4 ". The Fronts also have a seperate 1" tweeter up near the mirror right? I just wanted to make sure that was correct. I was thinking about going with Infinity but I was wondering some of your all's reccomendations. Also I keep seeing something about spacers and all this stuff when you go to install aftermarket speakers, whats the deal with that? I can understand putting Dynomat behind each speaker, because yes both of my front door panels rattle a little when theres a certain frequency bass and volume level, so I'd like to avoid that as well as have a clean fast and simple install. Let me know guys. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by prophetstudios View Post
    The biggest size I seen go in the front is 6.5 in the front and the rear 5.25 keep in mind not all 6.5 speakers will fit I had Alpine type R component that was a NO GO, I settled for 5.25 in the front these speakers are huge and will require some type of custom speaker spacers to fit properly. I wish you good luck with your Mod.
    I have Alpine S series components in my front doors and they're ok. What was the problem you had with the type R's? The only thing that gets me in trouble is that anything with a lot of bass will cause the woofer to hit the inside of the door. I need to cut out the stock speaker covers in the door to fix that. I have 5.25" Kenwood components in the back.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I did cut out the speaker outline on the door panel and the speaker even with the speaker spacers the back was grazing the window and the front panel just would not close. If I went with a normal type 6.25 I am pretty sure it would've came out just fine.