short thorw shift and a new shift knob
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on short thorw shift and a new shift knob within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have had my black 2004 wrx for about a month now and all that it has that isnt stock ...

short thorw shift and a new shift knob

I have had my black 2004 wrx for about a month now and all that it has that isnt stock is its rims and muffler so i would like to add a little something and i came up with doing a short throw shift and a nice shift knob i would like to do the kartboy short throw shift (Kartboy WRX Short Shifter - Drivetrain) and was hopping to add a greddy counterweight shift knob (Greddy Counterweight Shift Knob - Shift Knobs) The main reason we want the greddy shift knob is because it is the counterweight verison. my two main questions were if we would be better off buying a kartboy shift knob and matching the short throw shift with the shift knob or if we are OK with the greddy. Also if we get the greddy will it attach to the kart boy short throw shift with ease. Thank you very much for you advise

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

the only reason to get the kartboy weighted shift knob is just physics. you have the inertia of the weighted shift knob helping you put the car into gear because of the reduced arm of the short shifter. same force x smaller arm = smaller moment

to overcome this smaller moment, you can either use the same shift knob with a greater force, or you can use the weighted shift knob. the weighted shift knob requires a greater ammount of force to start moving, but adds its inertia to the force of your shift throw and you get a greater net force trying to stop the shift. you are using the same amount of force to put the car into gear, but it may seem less because the shorter throw isnt puting against your hand, its pushing against your hand and the weighted shift knob. i personally have a kart boy short shifter without the weighted shift knob, but i miss shifts just running around town when not trying to speed shift about once a month. its personal prefernce, but i like the non weighted shift knob. plus, on really hot or cold days, you hand isnt fried or frozen when you go to shift.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.