Subaru WRX Forum banner

More speakers....

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  devilduck54 
#1 ·
i wanna put some speakers behind the rear seats where the third brake light kinda is.....now i looked in the trunk and i could see circular cut out where they could go...but how do i go about wiring?....is there any good DIY for this?

#2 ·
???

#3 ·
I'm guessing you're a stereo newbie. You'll have to get an amp in addition to the speakers so that you can power them. Your head unit can only power 4 speakers (technically it could power more but that brings up a whole host of problems). You'll also need to break into the wiring of the existing speakers and run those off of an amp too, which means you now need 2 amps since you can't run 6 speakers off a normal amp, just 4.

Of course all of this is going to run you a lot of money and serve very little if not zero useful purpose so why don't you just upgrade your stock speakers instead? That would make a lot more sense.....

#4 ·
yeah i just got new speakers all around...ive already installed the rear 5 1/4".....and im about to install the fronts......but i was told i need componet speaker with the devorced tweeter....but i just bought the speakers with the tweeter in the cone.....can i have both working?

#5 ·
? help

#6 ·
alright im not doing the whole speakers in the rear window sill anymore......im just doin the 4 speakers....i already did the rear(in walmart parking lot).....and im gonna do the fronts today.....but my question is, my car has a speaker and tweeter in the door that are seperate....and when i went to circuit city the dude told me i need a componet set (speaker and tweeter divorced)....but then i found a deal on these one speakers that are 2 way and have the tweeter in the speaker......now can i use these new speakers and keep the tweeter in the door?

#7 ·
You do not need a set of component speakers. That guy is telling you that because you have component speakers. A set of coax speakers will work just fine there. A set of good component speakers will probably sound a better, but there is no reason that you could not use coax speakers there. What you would have to do is pull the wires from the tweeter that is already there and rerun it down to the other speaker location. But that is not hard to do.
The important thing to remember is that your front speakers are way more important then your rear speakers. So this is the place that you want to spend the majority of your money when it comes to speakers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.