What to get?? Gauges.

This is a discussion on What to get?? Gauges. within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Which are the three most important gauges and why? Im going to get a boost gauge for sure. But with ...

What to get?? Gauges.

Which are the three most important gauges and why?
    Im going to get a boost gauge for sure. But with which gauges do i fill the other two spots??

Should i mount them on the pillar or sacrifice my dash clock? Which do you prefer and why??
    Black 2004 WRX STi - BlobEye Syndicate #200
    "As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no EVO."
    I'm always looking for Subaru fanatics in the greater Montreal area. If your close, send me a pm.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I just got the ATi dash pod, and 3 Prosport gauges. I went with Boost, EGT, and Oil Pressure. They are not super fancy but work well and are less expensive than some others out there. Another good gauge to get will be air/fuel ratio if you are planing on tuning.

The ATi pod is quality and clips in well on the dash. It looks well integrated and is not in the way or anything. I also have a glowshift dash pod that is garbage, I wouldn't recommend one. I'll give you the glowshift one if you want it. Just pay for shipping and it's yours. Brand new.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by dspowersports View Post
    I just got the ATi dash pod, and 3 Prosport gauges. I went with Boost, EGT, and Oil Pressure. They are not super fancy but work well and are less expensive than some others out there. Another good gauge to get will be air/fuel ratio if you are planing on tuning.

The ATi pod is quality and clips in well on the dash. It looks well integrated and is not in the way or anything. I also have a glowshift dash pod that is garbage, I wouldn't recommend one. I'll give you the glowshift one if you want it. Just pay for shipping and it's yours. Brand new.
    appreciate the offer, but no thanks. im thinking of going more towards mounting them on the pillar.

real dumb question... whats EGT? exhaust gas temp?

for oil pressure, did you get a spacer with threaded holes for ez mounting of the sensors??
    I'm always looking for Subaru fanatics in the greater Montreal area. If your close, send me a pm.

EGT is exhaust gas temp, fair easy to install, requires a hole drilled in the exhaust manifold and then you need to tap it.

Oil gauges can be more difficult to install unless you find an easy bracket that installs where the oil filter goes and you can screw the sensor right in, otherwise you need to remove the oil pan, drill a hole, and weld in a bung.
    Turbo Subaru Gauge Installation Hardware, Water Temp, Oil Fittings, and Oil Adapters from JSC Speed.

I stuck with two gauges and picked up the autometer dual cluster bezel, i love it. Its alot more stealthy IMO.Cluster Pods ATi, Perrin, & Auto Meter Gauge Pods for WRX & STi, JSC Speed

If you want three I may suggest a wideband air/fuel.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

If you're going to be doing your own self-tuning, I would recommend Boost, EGT, and Oil pressure. If you're not, I would recommend Boost, Oil Pressure, and a clock. There are a couple of people that sell a clock that fits in the gauge pod slots, that way you don't lose the ability to tell time just because you want some gauges. I would put either configuration in the ati dash-pod.

~Tim

I went with egt, boost and oil pressure gauges. I picked up oil pressure at the oil galley plug below the front right corner of the intercooler. You need to remove the plug and install adaptor though.

Quote Originally Posted by Timdog1650 View Post
    Gauge FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying some! - NASIOC

That might help a bit with some questions you might be having...
    thx Tim, much appreciated.

so from the looks of it, its going to be boost,egt and oil pressure.

first two are pretty straight forward. except im not going to drill and tap my exh. manifold. ill get that done by the pros.

but for oil pressure, would you guys recomend going to the plug on the block under the IC or go with an Oil Sandwich adapter spacer plate betwen the block and oil filter????
    Last edited by ooWRXoo; 05-13-2008 at 11:03 AM.

I bought the oil galley adapter because it was less expensive than the oil filter plate. I was able to install without taking my IC off as well. It was an easy mod. If you want to add an oil temp guage too go with the filter adaptor plate.

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    Boost, EGT, and oil pressure are your best bet.

Do NOT use an oil filter sandwich adapter for your OP gauge. The Glow**** one doesn't even fit, and the Greddy one leaked after a month..... I tried both. Use the same port that Subaru does.. remove the factory OP sender and install the aftermarket one... right behind the alternator.

If you continue, a wideband A/F will be helpful. Don't be a dumbass like I was and buy a regular A/F..... they are useless.

I've noticed I use my Voltmeter A LOT... it's nice knowing that my charging system is operating properly.. just a suggestion... the Volt was the easiest install ever.

I'd suggest a shift light as well.

You know what??? ... don't listen to me.. I'm just going to keep going on .... and on... and on. LOL
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/165158-ninfourteeners-progress-thread-pics.html
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

Quote Originally Posted by ninefourteener View Post
    Boost, EGT, and oil pressure are your best bet.

Do NOT use an oil filter sandwich adapter for your OP gauge. The Glow**** one doesn't even fit, and the Greddy one leaked after a month..... I tried both. Use the same port that Subaru does.. remove the factory OP sender and install the aftermarket one... right behind the alternator.

If you continue, a wideband A/F will be helpful. Don't be a dumbass like I was and buy a regular A/F..... they are useless.

I've noticed I use my Voltmeter A LOT... it's nice knowing that my charging system is operating properly.. just a suggestion... the Volt was the easiest install ever.

I'd suggest a shift light as well.

You know what??? ... don't listen to me.. I'm just going to keep going on .... and on... and on. LOL
    ya i didnt think the oil sandwhich was a better idea than the block galley plug. but really, keep rambling about suby wisdom. i hope to gain as much knowledge as possible...

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    The galley is about 12 times harder to get to than the factory OP sender.

The galley is a BAD idea if you are using a mechanical gauge. The plastic capillary tubing is so crammed in there, you can end up breaking it.... I did.

For an electrical gauge... the galley is fine.... still tougher to get to though.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=165158
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com