Steering Wheels Leather Fading?

This is a discussion on Steering Wheels Leather Fading? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey Guys, I noticed today that the leather on the top part of my steering wheel is fading, its a ...

Steering Wheels Leather Fading?

Hey Guys, I noticed today that the leather on the top part of my steering wheel is fading, its a 04 and black. I always keep it clean and never get it wet, so my question is there anyway to prevent it from getting worse? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Mine is the same way, alot has to do with oils from your skin, my armrest extention and door are like that too. Armor All will help project, just know it may make you wheel more slippery.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

Banned
    mine does that also. it even looks like it's coming unglued on the top sides as well but i can't remember if it was that way when i got it or not.... (bought new.) i need to take a pic of it.... you'll know if you got water inside your car on the leather because it looks like there's a white ring around the wet spot. it happened to my door a little.

You should try a product called "back to black". I used all the time all over my old Miata. I am going to try it for the steering wheel thing tonight.

my steering wheel was peeling at the 12 o'clock spot so i just bought a wheel skin for it. it laced up nicely and it feels way better than before. doesn't cost all that much and its easy to install

what is that symbol in the middle of the steering wheel? i always see it but can never make it out
    06 WRX

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thGear View Post
    what is that symbol in the middle of the steering wheel? i always see it but can never make it out
    momo. stock wheel.

The wheel on my 05 WRX kinda started coming apart. The stitching or glue where the top portion of leather meets the sides came undone and they were kinda like flaps. I got it replaced under warranty. After about 30k miles the new wheel didn't come apart but the leather did wear a bit where my hands always were. Even using Armor All Leather Protectant. I think it's just inevitable with leather wheels.
    2005 WRB STi, protuned stage 2+

We live for fun, not forever

"Quantity has a quality all its own." –Josef Stalin

I am Jack's 300 turbocharged horses.

Armor All® - Product Detail

Armorall leather care gel. I had the same grayness/fading problem on the top of my steering wheel a few months back. A few good applications of this stuff and it looks just like new.

I Support ClubWRX
    I've had good success using Lexol PH cleaner and Lexol conditioner on my car's leather seats. It would probably do good work on the steering well, as well. I may try over the weekend; mine's not looking so new anymore.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon