Dashboard Adhesive

This is a discussion on Dashboard Adhesive within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just received a portable GPS that I'll be mounting on my dash, not my windshield. It came with an ...

Dashboard Adhesive

I just received a portable GPS that I'll be mounting on my dash, not my windshield. It came with an adhesive plate that sticks on the dash, but it doesn't seem very strong.

Anyone know of any clear adhesives that I could use to reinforce it? I'm looking for something that wont leave any permanent marks if I remove it. I was thinking about something like whatever they use to stick credit cards to paper, when you get them in the mail.. the booger like stuff. What is that?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User semperfudge_rex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobster View Post
    I just received a portable GPS that I'll be mounting on my dash, not my windshield. It came with an adhesive plate that sticks on the dash, but it doesn't seem very strong.

Anyone know of any clear adhesives that I could use to reinforce it? I'm looking for something that wont leave any permanent marks if I remove it. I was thinking about something like whatever they use to stick credit cards to paper, when you get them in the mail.. the booger like stuff. What is that?
    Those booger things are glue dots. You can also stop at a kragen/schucks/checkers to pick up velcro with this super glue like sticky adhesive but it's a pain to get it off. Nothing a little goo be gone can't do.
    Don't do it, it's Subicide!
    COBB Stage 2
    ***Wingles Alliance #22***

a silicon sealants might help
    Best regards!

I would try to stay away from silicon sealant, it may discolour the dash pad. Are you against using the windsheild mount? It really is the best and safest option. If that is entirely out of the question, you may want to try and fabricate a bracket. What type of car do you have, I may have a couple of suggestions for you...

Quote Originally Posted by JMack View Post
    I would try to stay away from silicon sealant, it may discolour the dash pad.
    it won't!!!... of course if it will be a clear silicon, without any colorings... but even in that case no need to worry... silicon has a less adhesive to surfaces... in future there may be need to remove the sticky part of all the construction... the silicon removes very easy... still it is flexible and enough sticky to hold GPS... silicon it's a molten sand kinda... what can sand do to the dash in chemical way?!

...and it is very hard to remove glue (of "adhesive plate" or of "two-sided tape") from the dash... might use some weak solvents but that will definitely do something bad to your dash...

..."they use to stick credit cards to paper" - that is a silicon..
    Best regards!

I ended up just putting the little sticky plate that came with the gps on the flat surface in front of the clock. My only concern is that as it starts to warm up more, it will pop off.

I drive an 06 wrx wagon.