2005 Subaru WRX Poor FM reception

This is a discussion on 2005 Subaru WRX Poor FM reception within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys I have a issue if you with my newer vehicle I got. I installed an aftermarket Kenwood head ...

2005 Subaru WRX Poor FM reception

Hey guys I have a issue if you with my newer vehicle I got. I installed an aftermarket Kenwood head unit along with an Alpine MRP-M350 amplifier along with 2 10" Alpine Type-R subs. I installed this into a 2005 Subaru WRX and everything works perfectly except for the radio. I am getting no AM reception at all and poor reception on the FM stations. The prior stock head unit worked perfectly, but didn't have any place for my subs to get hooked up through RCA. It's my understanding that the wire for the power antenna in the back windows is powered by the white wire and the blue antenna wire needs to be hooked up to that and thats the way I have it now. Is there anyway I could fix this issue at all or does anyone have any tips for me to solve this issue? Could it possibly be the head unit itself? Please help me out if you could!

Thanks,

Jeff

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by iceman33 View Post
    Hey guys I have a issue if you with my newer vehicle I got. I installed an aftermarket Kenwood head unit along with an Alpine MRP-M350 amplifier along with 2 10" Alpine Type-R subs. I installed this into a 2005 Subaru WRX and everything works perfectly except for the radio. I am getting no AM reception at all and poor reception on the FM stations. The prior stock head unit worked perfectly, but didn't have any place for my subs to get hooked up through RCA. It's my understanding that the wire for the power antenna in the back windows is powered by the white wire and the blue antenna wire needs to be hooked up to that and thats the way I have it now. Is there anyway I could fix this issue at all or does anyone have any tips for me to solve this issue? Could it possibly be the head unit itself? Please help me out if you could!

Thanks,

Jeff
    if it was that tight for the rca's its possible u knocked loose the antena cable when u put the head back in. ive done that in the past with tight installs. I know its silly, but did you pull it back out and check it?

Thanks,

Jeff

How did you connect the wiring(solder or crimp connector)? Also did you use an aftermarket wiring harness(pleaee say yes ) or is your factory radio plug been cut off? I would double check the power antenna wire(white) from the car wiring and the blue wire from the aftermarket harness to make sure that there is a good conection. I would also check the antenna wire itself. Not sure if the suby is like this but there are a lot of cars that have an extension piece thats lower down in the dash and sometimes if the antenna cable is short it can come unplugged.
    VF39'd and Clark Tuned
    BugEyeMafia #176
    Basshead Member #3

Hey all the wires are soldered together and I do have an aftermarket wiring harness attached to it lol. The antenna is in fact seated in their quite well because it doesn't just slide out when you try removing it and everything is secure back there. So that is why I am having some trouble figuring this one out. But thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by adizzle02 View Post
    How did you connect the wiring(solder or crimp connector)? Also did you use an aftermarket wiring harness(pleaee say yes ) or is your factory radio plug been cut off? I would double check the power antenna wire(white) from the car wiring and the blue wire from the aftermarket harness to make sure that there is a good conection. I would also check the antenna wire itself. Not sure if the suby is like this but there are a lot of cars that have an extension piece thats lower down in the dash and sometimes if the antenna cable is short it can come unplugged.

Hey all the wires are soldered together and I do have an aftermarket wiring harness attached to it lol. The antenna is in fact seated in their quite well because it doesn't just slide out when you try removing it and everything is secure back there. So that is why I am having some trouble figuring this one out. But thanks for the info!
    sorry I had to ask..you wouldnt believe some of the messed up stuff i saw when i was installing car audio..... Man thats a head scratcher.. Is the radio a new one?
    VF39'd and Clark Tuned
    BugEyeMafia #176
    Basshead Member #3

Quote Originally Posted by adizzle02 View Post
    sorry I had to ask..you wouldnt believe some of the messed up stuff i saw when i was installing car audio..... Man thats a head scratcher.. Is the radio a new one?
    Lol it's no issue at all. I had this head unit previously installed on a 2000 Ford Ranger for 3 years. its a kenwood head unit. The thing I can't understand is that the stock player when I got the vehicle had the radio working perfectly. But a friend of mine had a kenwood and after a few months his started having an issue with the radio as well. So I always was a fan of alpine so I may just look into a new had unit to see if it corrects the problem.

Lol it's no issue at all. I had this head unit previously installed on a 2000 Ford Ranger for 3 years. its a kenwood head unit. The thing I can't understand is that the stock player when I got the vehicle had the radio working perfectly. But a friend of mine had a kenwood and after a few months his started having an issue with the radio as well. So I always was a fan of alpine so I may just look into a new had unit to see if it corrects the problem.
    Ahhhhh gotcha... i Love alpine thats all ive ever ran in my cars for head units. that is pretty weird with the kenwod tho. I wonder is a solder came loose on the antenna piece inside the radio
    VF39'd and Clark Tuned
    BugEyeMafia #176
    Basshead Member #3

I Support ClubWRX
    I know the 06 wrx's use a powered antenna and the "power" wire must be hooked up on the deck harness.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

if you have tint it tends to affect it a little too... prolly not to any sort of extreme though... i noticed a difference when i tinted mine...
    yup

Hey guys just to give you an update, I took my vehicle to a local audio install shop and the issue is solved! It turns out that the power antenna wire on the head unit was not supply enough or possibly any power at all. So we tapped into the blue/white wire that is attached to the signal wire to the amp and instant success. I do appreciate all the help and I'm off to wash the vehicle! Thanks so much again!

Jeff