broken boost gauge, or bad install?

This is a discussion on broken boost gauge, or bad install? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Where is the best vaccuum line to tap into with a t-fitting for a boost gauge? I've heard on the ...

broken boost gauge, or bad install?

Where is the best vaccuum line to tap into with a t-fitting for a boost gauge? I've heard on the factory BOV. My vaccuum line coming from the right of the bov on my 04 sti doesnt have much slack, so I tapped the vaccuum line going to the intake elbow, would this make a difference... it shouldn't right, since vaccuum/boost shoul be consistent anywhere in the system as long as it's not leaking right?
    Well anyways, I installed my mechanical boost gauge, my buddy dropped it when we were drilling the column cover to mount it but it appearing fine. It wont register vaccuum/boost at all, and the needle sits at about .4psi. My best guess is that its busted because even if where i tapped into vaccuum was wrong it should still pull vaccuum when idling etc. right.

Anyone have any insight?

This post probably sounds dumb, but I'm hung over and pissed that I'm going to have to buy new gauge and after installing my pod on the column decided I dont like it and have to find a new way to mount it. I'll prolly go with an A-pillar pod when I order a new gauge.
    The toys you can buy from 15 months combat pay almost makes it worth it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Have you driven the car yet? because you dont make boost unless there is a load on the car. drive it around the block or down the street and get on it a little and let us know the numbers then.
    07 WRX TR
    | APS CAI | APS TMIC | SPT Short Throw Shifter | SRs 3" DP + Greedy EVO 2 CB | Blouch DOM 3.0R | Deatchwerks 750's | Walbro FP | Perrin Turbo Inlet | Perrin Up Pipe | Perrin EBCS | Prodrive Springs | 1-4 Helical PPG's | Pro Tuned by Mike @ GSTMotorsports 319 whp / 317 wtq @ 20 PSI |

It's a vaccuum/boost gauge. And i'ts not reading either. I drove it under a load, on the freeway and got I was in boost... the gauge fluttered from like .4psi were the needle sits to about 1psi. IDK, I'm pretty sure the gauge is broken. The glass didnt break but part of the aluminum on the bezel of the gauge is bent from the fall, so that tells you how hard my friend dropped it.
    So nothings registering on the gauge.

Banned
    bad install

you dont think the gauge could be broken... afte a 3 foot fall that bent the aluminum housing? ok. being a mechanical gauge i dont need electricity and the vaccuum line is tight, so i'm lead to believe that its the gauge. but thanks for the input

I had the same problem when I installed my STRI gauge, dropped and it sat at 3psi all the time. When I got the replacement I found out that the install was bad as well. I had overtightened the tiny little brass fitting. Got one for free from O'Reily's, works like a champ, ramps up faster then the OEM LAMCO gauge!
    2004 Aspen White STi Mac Tuned Stage 2 *304whp/345wtq* (SOLD)
    2003 WRB WRX: VF30'd w/ XPT tune (TRADED!)
    2002 Berlina Black S2000: Mugen Exhaust (GONE)

when you say the brass fitting, do you actually mean you had to get a replacement female fitting that screws into the male end on the gauge or the little brass doughnut/restrictor, whatever it is that sits between the two.
    I'm going to go take the fittings apart and investigat for cracks or anything. I know I tightened it pretty snug. I'll see whatsup and head to Oreilleys.

In the middle of a corn field somewhere in Illinois
    Tee off the Bov then check your wiring. When I did my install I ended up finding a bad ground.

I have a friend stationed down there in Fort Hood.

On a mechanical gauge the wiring, power and ground is just for the light correct? Anyways, the little brass piece that fits between the male and female fitting was kind of messed up from how much I tightened it so I picked up a new fitting kit at oriellys. I'm going to test fit it loose tommorow to see if it works.
    I had my gauge mounted on the column but it sat up high and obstructed the gauges so I am waiting until my a-pillar mount comes in on wed to finish the install.