Kenwood Mono Amp. KAC-9103D Hookup??

This is a discussion on Kenwood Mono Amp. KAC-9103D Hookup?? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok so I purchased this Amp. and I hooked it up. However it says that it is 500 watts rms ...

Registered User Americanrebel20's Avatar

Kenwood Mono Amp. KAC-9103D Hookup??

Ok so I purchased this Amp. and I hooked it up. However it says that it is 500 watts rms x1 @ 4ohms and 900 watts rms x1 @ 2ohms, How do I hook it up for it to run at 2 ohms?? The subs I got are 2 ohms. I figured since it was a mono amp it would only have 1 channel but it has 2. I have no clue about amps. pleaseeeee help..lol

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It is a one channel amp. The reason you see two "different" outputs is just for convenience so you don't have to do any wire splicing. It's really two prongs of the same output.

I'm assuming you have two subs.
    The resistance (Ohms) depend on how you connect your subs to the amp.

There is no way to present a 2 Ohm load to the amp (Unless you only use one sub).

Series connection (Not recommended) will present a 4 Ohm load to the amp.

Parallel connection will present a 1 Ohm load to the amp. In that case you will have 450W rms going to each sub (900W output by the amp, split into two subs).

Hope that helps you.

Registered User Americanrebel20's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamma View Post
    Parallel connection will present a 1 Ohm load to the amp. In that case you will have 450W rms going to each sub (900W output by the amp, split into two subs).

Hope that helps you.

May i ask how you would connect them parallel?? Sorry im just starting to do the whole system thing. But thanx for your help. Oh and the amp is 1 ohm stable just so ya know. Also if I do hook it up parallel do I need to use both sets of terminals on the amp or just one?
    Last edited by Americanrebel20; 03-02-2008 at 10:13 PM.

The way your amp works, is that the each terminal is split into two terminals for convenience so you don't need to attach two cables at the same point.

The way to connect them in parallel in your amp, is simple. Connect one sub to each terminal following the correct polarities (+) to (+) and (-) to (-).

That's it...

Keep in mind that each sub will receive 450W RMS, so make sure that they;re rated for it.