Subaru WRX Forum banner

will a mountain bike fit inside my wrx?

21K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  HxcJohnny 
#1 ·
ok, so i'm goin to pick up a mountain bike on wednesday, and I don't have a rack yet for my car. Does anyone know if I can fit a 17'' mountain bike in the back seat or trunk of my car? I've gotta drive about 100 miles up in the mountains and I dont wanna drive my jeep up there on all those sweet curvy roads haha. Please tell me some of you guys have fit a bike inside your car before

#2 ·
What kind of mtn. bike are you getting?

Yes, I've put a mtn bike in the back seat of the STi before. But you have to take both wheels off and put them in the trunk. You also have to cover the chain with a shop rag so you don't get grease on your seats.
And even after you remove both tires, you still have to phenagle the frame into the car. Be careful, your handlebar will want to tap against the window or rear windshield and the axle mounts on the front fork will want to poke the back of your front seats. It can be done, but you have to take special precautions to avoid ripped or stained seats.
Now, if you want to go one step further, you can loosen your headset and remove the handlebars from it and be able to put the frame and both wheels (which still have to be removed) into your trunk.

#3 ·
it's a giant yukon. it's not a super expensive bike or anything, but for me, just getting started, it'll be a good bike. I was looking at new ones, but i found a used one for a good price. it has an aluminum frame, disc brakes, full shimano drivetrain, and a dart shock, so it sounds like a nice bike

#5 · (Edited)
Giant is a major company that actually fabricates frames for numerous other companies, so it's a well-known brand and is a good starting point.

Like Mike said, you can fit it in your car if you disassemble it partly. However, I'd put the frame in the trunk and the wheels in the back seat. There's more greasy and pointy stuff on the frame and I'd rather stain or tear the trunk than the back seat of the car. You can also pull the saddle and seatpost out for even more compact fitting.

P.S., If the disc brakes are hydraulic (they have a fluid-filled hose and not a metal cable to actuate them) then make sure you don't squeeze the brake levers while the wheels are off. If you squeeze the levers the calipers may self-adjust and you won't be able to insert the wheels again without readjusting the brakes.

#4 ·
I have fit my Santa Cruz Heckler AM bike in my back seat. it was a squeeze but was able to do it.

In addition to the 2 wheels, I landed up just taking off my fork completely. I'd rather align a fork than handlebars esp with hydrolic brakes on it gets a bit tricky.

For one time it is ok. I got the yakima bike attachments afterwards tho.

Good luck!

~myke

#17 ·
it's a giant yukon. it's not a super expensive bike or anything, but for me, just getting started, it'll be a good bike. I was looking at new ones, but i found a used one for a good price. it has an aluminum frame, disc brakes, full shimano drivetrain, and a dart shock, so it sounds like a nice bike
Giant isn't a bad company. Plus aluminum frame, and disc brakes are always good.
I have a Rocky Mountain Edge and I'm about to get a Transition Bottlerocket.

I have fit my Santa Cruz Heckler AM bike in my back seat. it was a squeeze but was able to do it.
The Heckler is a really good bike too. Do you use it mainly for trail?
I don't know if many people on here will know what an A/M bike is, myke. LOL
My RM Edge is an A/M but I use it way more for freeriding (drops, skinnies, jumps, etc) than for trail riding. I currently have a Transition Bottlerocket frame on the way. Once I get that built, I'll use it for the extreme stuff and convert the Edge back to an XC/trail bike.

/hijack

#6 ·
I thiiiink i'm gonna end up driving the old jeep up there, even though i don't really want to. I know i can fit it in the back of it. I wanna drive the mountain roads in the subaru really bad haha. last time i was up there, i still had my del sol, and it was a ton of fun. I doubt the jeep will be much fun up there hah

#7 ·
This is why I love my wagon :)
Roof rack and fold-able rear seats do wonders.

#11 ·
thanks,

im' pretty freakin' excited to get a bike, I'll be even more excited when i find a nice roof rack. Do any of you guys use the racks that strap to the trunk? They're alot cheaper, but I'm afraid it'll scratch up the paint, and i dont really know how it'll do with the wrx spoiler

#18 ·
i have a 4 year old hardtail Specialized stumpjumper with adjustable judys, shimano XTR components and its the same color as my Wagon :)

i love that bike, disk brakes would be a nice upgade but i have some bad azz old school brakes.

#19 ·
Have you ever ridden a mtn bike with disc brakes? There is a night/day difference. They will stop you on a dime, well, at least the bike will stop. You will go over the bars. LOL

#23 ·
The Saris Bones is a decent trunk rack that should fit over the standard WRX spoiler just fine. It's pretty easy to get on and off too. I have a friend that has one.

+1 for roof racks tho - much simpler to use and less of a pain. Health benefits too from the decreased blood pressure knowing the $5,000 worth of bikes on your car is locked up and safe when you need to stop for a sammich.

Oh and if you ride much, you're GOING to scratch your car with your bike. Accept and move on.

#32 ·
ive got a sedan and i bought a nice little rack that straps on the trunk and has three rubber pads two that go on the bumper and one that goes in the center of the trunk. doesnt scratch the trunk or bumper and ive carried two bikes on it no problem. BTW ive driven from fort worth and back at lest 6 times with 2 bikes both ways and they we solid as a rock the whole way. no problems at all. highly recommended! oh yeah and it fits around your stock WRX wing and it also fits with the STi wing. its a really adjustable model that you could probably adapt it to just about every car.

http://www.bikerackshops.com/SARBONES.html

ive got the three bike model. plus you dont have to trade in your car!

Matt

#33 ·
thanks for the link walsh, I'll check that one out.

So I picked up the bike today, and it was alot easier getting it in the car than I figured it would be. I had both wheels and the seat off in about 2 minutes and had the bike in the car in about 5min total. So now, when we get some warmer weather, I've got a good way to exercise. Anyone from NC know of any good places to ride?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.