rearview auto-dimming

This is a discussion on rearview auto-dimming within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i did a search but didnt really get any answers. is there anyway i can somehow... buy an autodimming rearview ...

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

rearview auto-dimming

i did a search but didnt really get any answers.

is there anyway i can somehow... buy an autodimming rearview (maybe buy it from the factory or subie genuine parts..)

i know they come stock on some subies (regular wrx i believe)

but in the TR we dont get anything fancy soooo yeah.

thanks in advance =)

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes. Make sure you buy a mirror with the correct mount though. There are two mainstream mount types, and some mirrors will need an adaptor to fit.

You will also need at least one more part, if not two. The part you will definitely need is a small plastic piece that covers the wiring and snaps onto the mount. It's black and almost like an elongated triangle. Cars that came stock with the factory autodim mirror were supplied with it. The part number is floating around here and also on Nasioc (and I believe Scoobymods). You may also opt to get the factory mini-harness. This allows you to cleanly take power from the dome lamps.

Finally decide whether you want autodim, with compass, outside temp, and homelink. If you opt for outside temp, you'll need to route a wire from the mirror up to the headliner, then across the windscreen, down a pillar, and out to the nose of the car. Several Subarus have outside temp sensors and the stock location for the probe is tucked behind the grille.

Figure $50 for a used factory autodim/compass unit to several hundred for a new unit with all the options. Gentex makes several mirrors, for example. Again, check the mount and be sure to get the right one.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    very helpful! thanks a lot

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    Here's a thread discussing all sorts of improvements. Scroll through it and there's a picture of a mirror you might like, plus a link to instructions etc.

Opinions: Making My Interior More Livable...

B
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

yea my mirror is like, screwed. basically it looks as if some dark liquid is covering half of it. rofl. good thing ish like that doesnt bother me i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by STiBOi View Post
    Could it still be considered a sex toy if you get off from driving it?

I Support ClubWRX
    That's how mine failed also. I bought a used OEM replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    That's how mine failed also. I bought a used OEM replacement.
    what did that run you? mine literally went out a week after i bought the car.

I Support ClubWRX
    I think something like $50. They're cheapest used and from an early car, since those mirrors only have the compass and autodim feature. The most expensive ones have compass, autodim, temperature, homelink, and maybe map lights. Those can run several hundred $ new.

Find an upgrader or someone that's wrecked and buy something used. It'll eventually fail again anyway.

yea, i dont want to buy something too steep, old stocker will do just fine. i mean hell the thing still does its job. thanks for the info though..ill keep an eye out.