Subaru WRX Forum banner

DIY led window switch

5K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  bonesmcgraw 
#1 · (Edited)
OK so finally figured out the power and ground wires......

This is a DIY mod for you wrx window switch....(Do At Own Risk)

Tools and supplies:
philips head
flat head
soldering iron and solder
small guage wire
tape or glue
very small drill
sand paper
pliers
2 small wire taps
3....1.7volt 20mA 3000mcd leds
1....resistor 1/4watt 470ohm

start by unscrewing screw in grip on door....will be covered need flat head to pop open

next unplug both connections top and bottom

ok now unscrew the 3 screws holding it down....theres one at the top and two at the bottom

next use flat head to pop out the circuit board....wedge it between the black plastic and whitish clear area....

after poped out i painted the original bulbs on the circuit board....this will be the green side....

next sand down the leds to a cloudy texture....

next mark up the led to know which prong is the neg and which is the positive....the shorter one is the negitive prong

now drill small holes into the switches side....if you dont understand look below at the pictures...the leds go through the small holes

now start soldering them together.....negative to positive...negative to postive...in a series....u can glue them down but i had some issues doing that....i tried crazy glue

now start soldering them together on the other side....

now solder the resistor onto the negative wire comming off the last led

clean it up and make sure the wires from the positive side and negative side are around 6 inches

ok now use the wire taps to connect to power source and ground....

connect the negative wire to the black wire......the power wire to the green wire wire with the black stripe

this is it being tested with a 9 volt battery

finish product.....

GOOD LUCK!!!!!
(DO AT OWN RISK. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR CAR)

See less See more
#2 ·
ok so this is what i got sooo far.....LED HVAC and window switches.......bulb covered key ring, lighter and fog light

#4 ·
Thanks man!!!! I get bored.....lol....but ya thats why u gotta sand them down....same thing u gotta do with the HVAC when u wire leds into that

#6 ·
i just do a lot of reading get bored and decided to do something....lots of trial and error......actually i used to be into audio...installed on my old car sub, box, amp, did all the wiring. also had professionaly install alpine 9833 with internal speakers with a memphis amp and kenwood amp for sub.... I also took out the trunk tire cover, sketched it on a piece of wood and cut that out and glued and tacked on felt...then screwed my sub box to that.....i had an alpine type-r sub.....also did the led mod for the HVAC of that car as well...it was a 99 accord....it was easy b/c there was a kit and had the leds and resistors and directions to do the whole thing....much easier than the 05 hvac for the wrx

#9 ·
#10 ·
Ok I followed all the steps and it lights up and looks great. The only thing is that the leds are on all the time when the car is running. Did I hook something up wrong. I would like it to go off and on with the lights. I used both the black and green with black stripe like you said. Is this the way it's supposed to be. If so does anybody know how to hook it up to the actual light controls?

Thanks

#11 ·
sry man don't know which wire it is.....i wasn't about to sit there and tap into every one of them...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.