DIY led window switch

This is a discussion on DIY led window switch within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; OK so finally figured out the power and ground wires...... This is a DIY mod for you wrx window switch ...

DIY led window switch

OK so finally figured out the power and ground wires......

This is a DIY mod for you wrx window switch....(Do At Own Risk)

Tools and supplies:
    philips head
    flat head
    soldering iron and solder
    small guage wire
    tape or glue
    very small drill
    sand paper
    pliers
    2 small wire taps
    3....1.7volt 20mA 3000mcd leds
    1....resistor 1/4watt 470ohm

start by unscrewing screw in grip on door....will be covered need flat head to pop open

next unplug both connections top and bottom

ok now unscrew the 3 screws holding it down....theres one at the top and two at the bottom

next use flat head to pop out the circuit board....wedge it between the black plastic and whitish clear area....

after poped out i painted the original bulbs on the circuit board....this will be the green side....

next sand down the leds to a cloudy texture....

next mark up the led to know which prong is the neg and which is the positive....the shorter one is the negitive prong

now drill small holes into the switches side....if you dont understand look below at the pictures...the leds go through the small holes

now start soldering them together.....negative to positive...negative to postive...in a series....u can glue them down but i had some issues doing that....i tried crazy glue

now start soldering them together on the other side....

now solder the resistor onto the negative wire comming off the last led

clean it up and make sure the wires from the positive side and negative side are around 6 inches

ok now use the wire taps to connect to power source and ground....

connect the negative wire to the black wire......the power wire to the green wire wire with the black stripe

this is it being tested with a 9 volt battery

finish product.....

GOOD LUCK!!!!!
    (DO AT OWN RISK. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR CAR)
    Last edited by vcustoms; 02-07-2008 at 03:53 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ok so this is what i got sooo far.....LED HVAC and window switches.......bulb covered key ring, lighter and fog light

I Support ClubWRX
    Great write up! You have some skills there.

I'd guess you sanded down the LEDs to diffuse the light?
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    Great write up! You have some skills there.

I'd guess you sanded down the LEDs to diffuse the light?

Thanks man!!!! I get bored.....lol....but ya thats why u gotta sand them down....same thing u gotta do with the HVAC when u wire leds into that

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by vcustoms View Post
    Thanks man!!!! I get bored.....lol....but ya thats why u gotta sand them down....same thing u gotta do with the HVAC when u wire leds into that
    Looks like you do a lot of wiring work - that mod is not for the timid. Are you a car audio installer or the like?
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

i just do a lot of reading get bored and decided to do something....lots of trial and error......actually i used to be into audio...installed on my old car sub, box, amp, did all the wiring. also had professionaly install alpine 9833 with internal speakers with a memphis amp and kenwood amp for sub.... I also took out the trunk tire cover, sketched it on a piece of wood and cut that out and glued and tacked on felt...then screwed my sub box to that.....i had an alpine type-r sub.....also did the led mod for the HVAC of that car as well...it was a 99 accord....it was easy b/c there was a kit and had the leds and resistors and directions to do the whole thing....much easier than the 05 hvac for the wrx

do you think i could do this with a gauge cluster?
    all my gauges are blue, my TT has a blue screen so i'd like to change out the LEDs on the gauge cluster.

PS the LEDs I have are 3.2-3.6V, Iv=10000

aug
    Awesome dood

Quote Originally Posted by efmd3 View Post
    do you think i could do this with a gauge cluster?
    all my gauges are blue, my TT has a blue screen so i'd like to change out the LEDs on the gauge cluster.

PS the LEDs I have are 3.2-3.6V, Iv=10000
    check nasioc out....http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=690378

for the leds....um idk which those are....usually their in mcds and mA but check this site out too see what resistor you will need
    http://ledcalc.com/#calc

Ok I followed all the steps and it lights up and looks great. The only thing is that the leds are on all the time when the car is running. Did I hook something up wrong. I would like it to go off and on with the lights. I used both the black and green with black stripe like you said. Is this the way it's supposed to be. If so does anybody know how to hook it up to the actual light controls?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bonesmcgraw View Post
    Ok I followed all the steps and it lights up and looks great. The only thing is that the leds are on all the time when the car is running. Did I hook something up wrong. I would like it to go off and on with the lights. I used both the black and green with black stripe like you said. Is this the way it's supposed to be. If so does anybody know how to hook it up to the actual light controls?

Thanks
    sry man don't know which wire it is.....i wasn't about to sit there and tap into every one of them...
    05 OBP WRX

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    I am willing to trade my first born child as well... if the first born is not of the gender that you prefer, I will be more than happy to continue trying with the woman until you get the gender you prefer (I personally like the act of "Trying")

Quote Originally Posted by vcustoms View Post
    sry man don't know which wire it is.....i wasn't about to sit there and tap into every one of them...
    No worries. I ended up just running the positive wire into the car and tapped it into the orange illumination wire for the stereo.