Where to mount my amp in the trunk?

This is a discussion on Where to mount my amp in the trunk? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, I have a '06 WRX TR, and I'm trying to put in a really nice sound system. I'm ...

Where to mount my amp in the trunk?

Hey guys,

I have a '06 WRX TR, and I'm trying to put in a really nice sound system. I'm not too concerned about it being ridiculously loud, but I'm a sucker for high SQ. To that end, I went out and bought a JL 10w6 sub and 500v1 amp for the trunk. I want to keep a good bit of my trunk space, so I'm planning on putting it in a fiberglass box to one side. Should be neat enough, keep the trunk looked nice, etc.

The issue I'm wrestling with right now is where to put the amp. I want it up and out of the way, but I also don't want to block the pass-through to the cabin (I use it a lot). I don't want to build (or have built) a giant amp box or something - I don't need to show this car off to anybody. Have any of you done this sort of basic install with a bigger amp like the 500v1? Where did you put it? Do you have pictures you could show me?

I'd also like to do this myself (feeling kind of cheap right now), so any advice on how to attach the amp and things to watch out for would be appreciated. I already have a tube and an amp back there, so I've run the wires and am familiar with the electronics, but I'm still more or less a n00b at all of the mechanical bits.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by trjordan View Post
    Hey guys,

I have a '06 WRX TR, and I'm trying to put in a really nice sound system. I'm not too concerned about it being ridiculously loud, but I'm a sucker for high SQ. To that end, I went out and bought a JL 10w6 sub and 500v1 amp for the trunk. I want to keep a good bit of my trunk space, so I'm planning on putting it in a fiberglass box to one side. Should be neat enough, keep the trunk looked nice, etc.

The issue I'm wrestling with right now is where to put the amp. I want it up and out of the way, but I also don't want to block the pass-through to the cabin (I use it a lot). I don't want to build (or have built) a giant amp box or something - I don't need to show this car off to anybody. Have any of you done this sort of basic install with a bigger amp like the 500v1? Where did you put it? Do you have pictures you could show me?

I'd also like to do this myself (feeling kind of cheap right now), so any advice on how to attach the amp and things to watch out for would be appreciated. I already have a tube and an amp back there, so I've run the wires and am familiar with the electronics, but I'm still more or less a n00b at all of the mechanical bits.

Thanks!
    I'm not sure on any of ideas but i'll throw you some ideas based on what i've seen on my car.

If you lift up the carpet theres's actually lots of flat surface right there and a well to place stuff i.e. spare tire. also did you think about mounting it on the upper part of the inside of the trunk? the bottomside of the trunk lid.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #116
    Dirty Crew #27

Is there enough breathing room for the amp in there? I read through the manual, and there are a bunch of dire warnings about making sure there's enough space to make sure the amp doesn't overheat. I don't think it'll be that big a deal, since I don't plan on driving this thing near its full capacity, but any thoughts on that?

JL amps don't like to be mounted upside down. The usual way is just fixing them to the back seat.

If you don't care about looks, you can take a piece of MDF, screw the amp in, and place it on the opposite side the sub is in.

Is there enough breathing room for the amp in there? I read through the manual, and there are a bunch of dire warnings about making sure there's enough space to make sure the amp doesn't overheat. I don't think it'll be that big a deal, since I don't plan on driving this thing near its full capacity, but any thoughts on that?
    forgot about that. haha. ooops.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma View Post
    JL amps don't like to be mounted upside down. The usual way is just fixing them to the back seat.

If you don't care about looks, you can take a piece of MDF, screw the amp in, and place it on the opposite side the sub is in.
    Why didn't I think of that. DUh. ya, that's probably the best place. that's where all my friends have it mounted.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #116
    Dirty Crew #27

Mount them to the backs of the back seats. That's where mine is at. Makes it easy to run the cables down under the back of the seats and under the carpet up to the front of the car.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

@snowflowmfg and Gamma, I was thinking about mounting on it on the opposite side from the speaker, but I don't quite see how to do it. (Sorry if I'm being a little slow...) Can I just mount it to the carpet/plastic bits? That doesn't seem strong enough, but if I look behind it, it looks like it the outside body of the car. Are you talking about putting it on the floor there, or on the wall?

Also, @teflon_jones, do you have the 500v1 as well? I held mine up to there, and it looked like a tight fit, but doable. Did you have any trouble getting it to fit?

Teflon jones' idea is the best IMO. all my friends have theirs mounted there. but if you wanted to hide it you'd have to throw it under the carped in the spare well and if you wanted to put it on the opposite side of the sub then you could probably do that. the body is double walled so you could mount it to the inside one...don't know how but i'm sure you could figure it out.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #116
    Dirty Crew #27

mount it on the box
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

i been looking at the custom made Audio Integrations WRX amp racks. One covers the pass thru, but one attaches under the rear deck. Little pricey, but worth it if you want a flawless look.

If your amp is small enough, it might just fit in that under deck rack.

2011 VW GTI - K04

Also, @teflon_jones, do you have the 500v1 as well? I held mine up to there, and it looked like a tight fit, but doable. Did you have any trouble getting it to fit?
    No, I have an Alpine amp. It's mounted on a piece of MDF that's covered with thin carpeting and then that is screwed to the back of the back seats. It's late and I'm tired or I'd go take a pic.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading