oil pressure guage
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on oil pressure guage within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hi all i just bought an 02 wrx the person before me has put in three gauges where the clock ...

oil pressure guage

hi all i just bought an 02 wrx the person before me has put in three gauges where the clock normally is, ext temp, oil pressure, fuel pressure. they are greddy gauges thats all i know. a few questions

1 the back lights dont light up on the oil pressure and fuel pressure, is there a way to replace just the light or do i have to buy a whole new gauge? or could it be a wiring problem and where would i start checking?
    2 the oil pressure gauge is not working, what are a few things i could start checking?

i havent even begun to look at the gauges sorry just looking for some ideas to get me started.

thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hard to say for sure.

I'd go to the previous owner first if possible and see if he can offer some answers.

For the lighting I'd trace the wiring and see if it is connected to proper 12V & ground

For the Oil pressure check and see it is wired to a sender properly and check ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    It must be on the Subway diet. Did you name it Jared?

thanks

ive read that the oil pressure gauge is a pretty big task. isnt there an oil pressure gauge the the sender is placed between the oil filter and where the filter screws into? i guess i just need to brave the cold and start from the ground up

thanks

You can use an oil filter adapter or the galley plug. Take a look and see if there is a sender already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    It must be on the Subway diet. Did you name it Jared?

the one ur talking about is called a sandwhich plate

I just did my guages and the oil pressure i did with a oil galley plug....go to subaru or to a performance shop and ask them for the oem plug that works with a sensor if you want to go that route.....

to install it that way
    1-take off tmic
    2-unbolt throttle body
    3- unscrew galley plug which is located under the throttle body to the left a little (need a 8mm hex key socket wrench)
    4-screw in new galley plug
    5-teflon tape the senor and screw that in using a crow foot
    6-re-install

PM me if you have any other questions

ok cool thanks, does that sandwhich plate work the same way just easier?
    or did i miss understand?

well i never installed a sandwhich plate but i supose its a lot easier...

i have a feeling that it won't read as well tho but search the forums and hopefully u'll find out

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    The best place to install an OP gauge is exactly where the factory does..... right behind the alternator.

The galley plug works, but its EXTREMELY tight to get to, and you risk breaking wires or lines.

Sandwich adapters are junk, and they leak, and it's a half-ass way of doing the job right. But yes, it is the easiest.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/165158-ninfourteeners-progress-thread-pics.html
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

ok thanks, im guessing they did the galley plug cause they went all out when they installed things so i just need to get out there in the cold and check it out

thanks alot

Quote Originally Posted by ninefourteener View Post
    The best place to install an OP gauge is exactly where the factory does..... right behind the alternator.
    where do you mean right behind the alternator????

Quote Originally Posted by ninefourteener View Post
    The galley plug works, but its EXTREMELY tight to get to, and you risk breaking wires or lines.
    I completely disagree. Other than it being a big pain to take off the TMIC and undo a few lines, it's no big deal. There's not much around there that is easy to break. You'll definitely need a crows wrench. It's not EXTREMELY tight to get to, just kind of a pain. There really are no wires or lines to break there.
    -John
    Different Strokes
    Dirty Crew #2002
    Mods in profile.

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    I broke my oil pressure gauge line when I had it hooked up to the galley plug.

Its better with an electrical gauge, but I prefer mechanical gauges when I can.

behind the alternator...... thats where the factory OP sender is..... its as simple as removing the alternator. remove the factory op sender, plug yours in.... done.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=165158
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

idk ripping off the alternator or taking of the TMIC????

it all depends on how you feel doing it.....i've done alternators before and this was my first time removing my tmic and it was really simple......

what company guage r u guys running???

i own defi and i want to compaire oil pressure.....

idle....around 40-30
    full throttle i've peaked at 110
    in gear with no throttle around 80-90

ok well tomorrow i start ripping things off, and see where i get, i hope all goes well, im running greddy mechanical gauges, once i get my OP gauge working i will let you know my OP. Thanks for all the help guys

ok so i checked out the gauges,

exhaust temp works fine, gauge works and the lights work. fuel pressure, gauge works, but no lights, the oil pressure no reading, and no lights, if i plugged the oil pressure sensor and such to the ext temp i get lights and readings, if i plug it into the fuel pressure, i get readings, but no lights. long story short, it seems that the oil pressure gauge doesnt work at all, the fuel pressure gauge needs new lights, because if i plug in the exhaust temp sensors and such to the fuel pressure gauge i get readings but no lights, i dont know where to get replacement bulbs. any ideas?
    and im trying to find if the new greddy gauges will work with my setup so all i have to do is plug them in, because it seems like the sensors and everything is working, but the oil pressure gauge is gone completely and the fuel pressure needs replacement lites

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.