Adding a siren, wiring question...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Adding a siren, wiring question... within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am adding a siren to my 2003 WRX and was looking for input on wiring. I am confused where ...

Question Adding a siren, wiring question...

I am adding a siren to my 2003 WRX and was looking for input on wiring. I am confused where to get these power connections:

Red Lead: Connect the red wire from the amplifier to positive 12VDC. It is strongly recommended that you connect to a 12VDC source that is present only when the vehicle ignition is in the on position. A power relay may also be used. Be sure to use a minimum size #16 AWG wire.

Yellow lead: Connect to +12VDC through a switched power supply (possibly iginition). This will turn the siren on and off. Be sure to use a minimum size #18AWG wire

Orange Lead: This lead supplies power for the backlighting of the siren. Connect it to +12VDC from the dash lights, parking lights or other switched source. Be sure to use a minimum size #18AWG wire.

Could these all be taken from the same source? What would be the best place to pull power off for these wires? I could use any help you guys could give.

Thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Moved to Cockpit and Cabin
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    - Founder, 250,000 mile club
    -5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by timber View Post
    Moved to Cockpit and Cabin

Sorry about that, I looked for a better place and couldn't locate it. I didn't look hard enough

Banned
    where does the siren go?

The siren (control/switch box) goes in the interior. I am thinking about attaching it to the vertical wall of center console on the passenger side (footwell). I was thinking about taking the power for the yellow and orange off of the lighter/outlet since it's switched and close by. I just don't know about taking the main power (red wire) off that also or of there is a better place to get those power. I will have a low power device (led warning lights) plugged into the lighter/outlet.

I Support ClubWRX
    The easiest way for a direct power line might just be to run a fused line right off of the battery and through the firewall grommet.
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    -5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by timber View Post
    The easiest way for a direct power line might just be to run a fused line right off of the battery and through the firewall grommet.
    what abouta switched power line?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by efmd3 View Post
    what abouta switched power line?
    I think he said he wanted to run off of the lighter.
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    -5,000 posts

I don't know why it sas that the main power should be switched as well (ignition). I hooked it up to a battery and it will not function with just the red and black hooked to the battery. The yellow must also be hooked up to the positive. I think I will just pull power off the battery for the red and put the other two to the lighter power. Does this seem like it will cause any problems?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jvic View Post
    I don't know why it sas that the main power should be switched as well (ignition). I hooked it up to a battery and it will not function with just the red and black hooked to the battery. The yellow must also be hooked up to the positive. I think I will just pull power off the battery for the red and put the other two to the lighter power. Does this seem like it will cause any problems?
    You should be good as long as you are not pulling more ampreage than what the circuit is rated for.
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    -5,000 posts

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jvic View Post

I'm not much of an electrics guy, but it seems to me that the last stereo I installed was the same way.
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    -5,000 posts

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.