Cup holder and arm rest?

This is a discussion on Cup holder and arm rest? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Looking at the accessories list for my 2008 WRX, I see two simple things that look interesting: the arm rest ...

Cup holder and arm rest?

Looking at the accessories list for my 2008 WRX, I see two simple things that look interesting: the arm rest extension and the rear cup holder that installs in the center console. Do they come with instructions? How simple are they to install?

(I'm also going to get the wheel locks and trunk cargo nets, but those look simple enough not to worry about.)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If the armrest extension is anything like the one for the 07 WRX, it's like 2 screws, a VERY easy mod.

My '08 WRX base (non-premium package) came with the optional armrest extension. It looks like you simply remove the old console cover and replace with a totally new top.

As for the cupholder, mine is on order, and should be here by the end of the week. I'll post another reply when I get it.

I just finished installing the Subaru fog light kit today. This was very easy since all the wiring is already in the factory harness. Very cool.

I also have on order:
    Splash guards
    Rear Bumper Protector
    Auto-dimming mirror with homelink
    WRX License Frame (should be good for at least 50 HP )

I'm still looking for an exhaust tip (nothing crazy; just something to make it shiny and preferably a Subaru part).

Mike

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    My 07 arm-rest extension is great for holding gum and cell phones, but gets in the way when shifting. I am torn as to whether I would have put it on now that I know...
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    My 07 arm-rest extension is great for holding gum and cell phones, but gets in the way when shifting. I am torn as to whether I would have put it on now that I know...
    How tall are you? I'm relatively short, so I have the seat further forward and probably have more room to spare.

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I am 5ft 10in..

The utility of the armrest is probably worth it to most people - but if you wanted to be sure, you can go sit in any impreza on the dealer's lot that has one to feel it out.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

As promised, I thought I would let you know how easy the cup holder install is. Attached are photos of what you get in the kit. Only a screwdriver is necessary for the one screw used to attach the rear of the console. Instructions are included. Total install start to finish is less than 5 minutes.

Also, the other mods I listed above were extremely simple as well. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Web subaru 011.jpg   Web subaru 016.jpg  
    Last edited by Scoob E Roo; 01-31-2008 at 05:32 PM.

Thanks. The dealer faxed the instructions to me. Pretty illegable, except that it says to use the trim removal tool to remove the old pieces. What did you use for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffp25 View Post
    Thanks. The dealer faxed the instructions to me. Pretty illegable, except that it says to use the trim removal tool to remove the old pieces. What did you use for that?
    The only part of the cup-holder install that specifies a ""trim-removal tool" is the part where you pull the old "blank" panel where the ash tray could go. I was able to use a fingernail on the side of this part, but a butter knife will work just as well. They supply you with a new "blank" panel in the kit anyway, so no worries.