2005 Subaru WRX Wagon CarPC ***nice pics***
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2005 Subaru WRX Wagon CarPC ***nice pics*** within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; This is a system that I just configured/installed. Below is the owner's post. If you have any questions, please PM ...

2005 Subaru WRX Wagon CarPC ***nice pics***

This is a system that I just configured/installed. Below is the owner's post. If you have any questions, please PM or post. Thanks.

-------------------------------------

One of the cooler things not under the hood that I've done to the car. Looks great and works perfect. A few reasons why I did this:

I'm a geek.
    I want my TabletPC in the house (where it should be).
    A full gauge set up costs a bit, this can display more engine information.
    I need more than 6 CD's to choose from.
    GPS/Nav.
    I can get ECU flashes on my phone, and upload to the PC which is always in my car.
    Runs can be recorded right to the HDD.

Pictures:

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

how long does startup and shutdown take?
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Can you get them with solid state Hard drives?
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

and how are the startup/shutdown times with an SSD?

The reason I'm asking in both cases is because those via cpu's aren't known for being on the faster side.

While the installed aspect is nice, I have a hard time justifying putting a PC in a car when there are easier ways to accomplish the same thing.

Fujitsu Lifebook

This cradle plugs into 12vDC for power, has a GPS, and FM transmitter. Even better, it can be moved freely from vehicle to vehicle as needed.

The cradle is on ebay - search for "fujitsu gps cradle"

and a new lifebook 810 is $949 at JR, and less I'm sure on ebay.
    Last edited by Micah; 01-17-2008 at 04:52 PM.
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."

how long does startup and shutdown take?
    Around 40-45 seconds. With some tweaking you can get the times lower. If you hibernate you can get it to 21 seconds.

Can you get them with solid state Hard drives?
    It's possible, but I have not done a system with such yet. Send me a pm for more details.

and how are the startup/shutdown times with an SSD?

The reason I'm asking in both cases is because those via cpu's aren't known for being on the faster side.

While the installed aspect is nice, I have a hard time justifying putting a PC in a car when there are easier ways to accomplish the same thing.

Fujitsu Lifebook

This cradle plugs into 12vDC for power, has a GPS, and FM transmitter. Even better, it can be moved freely from vehicle to vehicle as needed.

The cradle is on ebay - search for "fujitsu gps cradle"

and a new lifebook 810 is $949 at JR, and less I'm sure on ebay.
    What size screen is that? Can I get it in 7, 8, 10" screens? Can you play everything through your car stereo via surround sound? Can you load all your music library and video libray onto it? Can you install a different GPS receiver/software if you don't like what it has or if something better comes along later? Can you connect it to your ECU and datalog/flash it? Can you check your ECU parameters live on the screen? There many reasons why a CarPC is just a one stop solution for all entertainment in a car and more, but surely it's not for everyone. Me myself don't like anything attached to my windshield.

Thanks for your positive comments.

Quote Originally Posted by wjc04wrx View Post
    What size screen is that? Can I get it in 7, 8, 10" screens? Can you play everything through your car stereo via surround sound? Can you load all your music library and video libray onto it? Can you install a different GPS receiver/software if you don't like what it has or if something better comes along later? Can you connect it to your ECU and datalog/flash it? Can you check your ECU parameters live on the screen? There many reasons why a CarPC is just a one stop solution for all entertainment in a car and more, but surely it's not for everyone. Me myself don't like anything attached to my windshield.

Thanks for your positive comments.
    You can attach an external monitor if you like. This would be interfacing through the FM transmitter which of course would be stereo. The unit does have the capability for surround sound via an external sound processor like any other PC would. In the same vein, it has available USB ports which means you can connect it to anything that you can connect the car PC to. Yes you can use any GPS receiver you like, same goes for software, you can use a tactrix cable to connect to the OBD-II port.

Are you an authorized vendor?

If you don't like attaching this unit to your windsheild you can simply purchase the 12v accessories and cradle from fujitsu and use USB for the tactrix/GPS/surround audio. That's assuming that you are looking for surround audio. I'm sure most people would be satisfied with a stereo downmix of the surround audio as they would be able to push this through any existing car radio without needing to install amplifiers to take the multi-channel inputs required for surround sound.

Look at the hardware specs of the Fujitsu Lifebook 810 and compare it to the car pc's offered on the site that just happens to be at the bottom of those pics. For someone looking for an installed option, it would make more financial sense to connect an external monitor mounted in the dash to the VGA out on the Fujitsu, mouse control can be passed from the touchscreen to the unit no problem. I think most people would prefer a machine that is usable both in the car (optionally in the dash - only need to buy the touchscreen and bezel) and as a regular small laptop. Though I suppose you are correct when you state that it's "not for everyone", I guess it's technically feasible that some would want to pay more for less with the Voom enclosure.

Oh, and you're very welcome.

You are wrong to assume that most people want a system that can be used both in a car and outside. Everyone that contacts me wants something that is just for the car and they have already been messing with laptops already. Besides, the description of your proposed setup sounds pretty mickey moused and everything sounds good until you actually put it into practice.

Another issue that you come up with laptops is turning them on/off automatically, you have to connect wires to the board and connect a smart power supply to it in order to achieve such.

You are getting the wrong message about the post. It's to show a system that has been made to look as OEM as possible, not to compare to other possibilites and options as you're trying to do. There are many other options out there in doing sound, but most are mickey moused, such as your ideas.

You are wrong to assume that most people want a system that can be used both in a car and outside. Everyone that contacts me wants something that is just for the car and they have already been messing with laptops already. Besides, the description of your proposed setup sounds pretty mickey moused and everything sounds good until you actually put it into practice.

Another issue that you come up with laptops is turning them on/off automatically, you have to connect wires to the board and connect a smart power supply to it in order to achieve such.

You are getting the wrong message about the post. It's to show a system that has been made to look as OEM as possible, not to compare to other possibilites and options as you're trying to do. There are many other options out there in doing sound, but most are mickey moused, such as your ideas.
    The startup shutdown side of things is easy with a laptop - use the power settings in windows to shutdown when running on battery with no activity after whatever time the user chooses to set it at. It doesn't seem any more "mickey moused" than integrating a DC inverter with intergrated startup/shutdown controllers as most people do for carpc setups.

The Fujitsu laptop carries a 1year warranty. I really think you would make your job easier if you started using these instead of building up those voom enclosures.

$949 new in box
    # Intel A110 800MHz Processor
    # 512KB L2 Cache 400MHz Bus speed
    # 1024MB DDR2 400MHz RAM
    # 40GB 4200RPM 1.8-inch PATA Hard Drive
    # 5.6"WSVGA Crystal View Touch screen (1024 x 600) Display
    # Integrated 0.3MP (640 x 480) webcam
    # Intuitive touch or pen or using the built-in QWERTY Keyboard inputs
    # Integrated Intel Graphics with 3D Accelerator Video
    # 1 Type I/II CF Card slot, 1 SD Card Reader
    # Fingerprint reader
    # Built-in 802.11a/b/g Wireless, Bluetooth v2.0
    # 1 USB 2.0, 1 Headphone out; 1 Microphone-in, 1 VGA and 1 RJ-45 via adapter connector
    # Unit Dimensions: 6.73" (L) X 6" (D) X 1.26" (H)
    # Unit Weight: 1.56lbs

This has CF/SD slots, 1GB ram, bluetooth 2.0, and honestly seems a better fit. Don't you think?
    Last edited by Micah; 01-17-2008 at 05:28 PM.

800MHz is way too slow. Most people start at 1.0GHz and up. I'm only going to be using 1.5GHz boards from now on.

If your way was the way to go, everyone would be doing it, but not so many people are. Why don't you try it and we'll see how it goes for you?

800MHz is way too slow. Most people start at 1.0GHz and up. I'm only going to be using 1.5GHz boards from now on.

If your way was the way to go, everyone would be doing it, but not so many people are. Why don't you try it and we'll see how it goes for you?
    The Intel A110 CPU at 800mhz benchmarks quite well.

Also - the flipstart dropped in price and is now available for $699.

How does that Via C7 processor score in benchmarks?

the c7s are designed for low power consumption and that is it

If you truly want something that is fast .. uses virtually the same power. check this mother board out http://www.e-itx.com/intel-d201gly2-...top-board.html

1.2 celeron. runs xp great.. dvds.. anything youd need.
    Plenty of benchmarks out there show that not even the 2.0 c7 compares with the celeron 220.

ODJ
    ...A full gauge set up costs a bit, this can display more engine information...
    I can get ECU flashes on my phone, and upload to the PC which is always in my car.
    Runs can be recorded right to the HDD...
    I would like to know more about these particular points.

What engine info can you display? How would an EGT sensor or a WBO2 be connected to the unit? What software would be necessary?

I imagine that connecting the USB Tactrix cable would be easier than other sensors. Do your above comments about flashing/logging mean that you have been able to load and run open-source tuning software on the unit?
    UNSPOILT BY PROGRESS

You can use the tatrix cable and view all the ECU info offered via Enginuity or any other open source software. There are also other software packages that allow you to view such info with gauges as well.

Real gauges are going to be more accurate in certain cases (wideband), and they won't be dependant on the computer. I have a laptop, and I can connect via tactrix just like I used to connect with my AP - can see plenty of data, but I'd rather have the gauges mounted a bit closer to where they can be seen while keeping my eyes on the road. Even in direct sunlight gauges are easy to read.
    Last edited by Micah; 01-17-2008 at 08:42 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.