HKS Type 1 turbo timer

This is a discussion on HKS Type 1 turbo timer within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Does anyone have 07 sti ecu diagram... I hooked up the turbo timer but i dont know what wires to ...

HKS Type 1 turbo timer

Does anyone have 07 sti ecu diagram... I hooked up the turbo timer but i dont know what wires to connect.. speed and tach... everything else works fine...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Thumbs up

ok, should have come with installation directions, but if not, here goes..........(if its anything like mine)

Take the harness adapter(the harness peice with 3 connectors), connect the 2 connectors in btw the ignition and engine side of the ignition connector, connect the other side of the connector to the timer, run the gray wire with the male bullet style connector and connect it to the female
    bullet connector wire with one end thats just a bare wire(well, with coating on it), take the red splice connector, put the gray bare wire end in the one side with the stop in it(its the one side that doesnt allow the wire to go all the way through) then run it to your parking brake, in btw the parking brake switch and the actual e-brake(its a green/white wire on my year model, 05, but its fairly obvious), close the splicer completely and lock it so it splices the 2 wires in parallel, then just mount the timer with the included double sided 3M mounting tape........ ****..... stuff..... best place is on the underside of the steering column cover(at least thats where i have mine, nice n hidden, and it makes my crotch glow! ADDED BONUS!) anyways, any other questions, just ask

You guys know this is a completely useless mod on WRX/STI right?

Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Thanks

Thanks for the reply, I'll try that...

how so micah?

Quote Originally Posted by SchlepRock View Post
    how so micah?
    Our cars turbo is oil and water cooled and the factory cooling system is designed to continue cooling the turbo even after the key is shut off. So barring science changing, as long as heat continues to rise and expand, and as long as high pressure will seek to equalize into low pressure - the stock cooling system will do it's job.

That's why a turbo timer is a waste on WRX/STI. If you were to switch to a turbo that was only oil cooled, then a turbo timer might be a good idea. Though personally I believe that a decent car alarm with remote start would be a better value in this case as it can be used in the exact same way to keep the car running for a moment(required pressing both buttons on the remote before turning the key to off on the Viper alarm I had on my turbo Protege ES). The addition of a car alarm will net a slight reduction on your car insurance.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

I Support ClubWRX
    Additionally, it's probably for the same reason that Subaru removed the cool down procedure from their owners manuals. The system is designed to not need it.
    Turbo Timer FAQ ...
    Are these necessary with Subaru Turbos? No.

June 2001 TechTIPS published by Subaru for Subaru Technicians states:

"2002MY WRX TURBO COOL DOWN PROCEDURE
    FHI's position regarding this is that it is not necessary to perform a "cool down/idling" procedure, as was recommended with past turbo models. Our current 2.0L turbo engine has a far greater cooling capacity and, coupled with technology advances, makes this practice no longer necessary. This explains why information about cool down is not included in the 2002MY Impreza Owner's Manual.

The heat contained in the turbo charger will begin to vaporize the coolant at the turbo charger after the engine is stopped. This hot vapor will then enter the coolant reservoir tank which is the highest point of the coolant system. At the same time the vapor exits the turbo charger, coolant supplied from the right bank cylinder head flows into the turbo. This action cools the turbo charger down. This process will continue until the vaporizing action in the turbo charger has stopped or cooled down."

All that said, I doubt having a TT won't "hurt" your car.
    Last edited by TheJ; 01-20-2008 at 09:59 AM.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

Put your timer up for sale and take the money and do something useful with it.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading