2008 Navigation questions. Is there a hacker in the house?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2008 Navigation questions. Is there a hacker in the house? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Sorry if this is a repeat, I did some searching but didn't find what I was lookin' for. I have ...

2008 Navigation questions. Is there a hacker in the house?

Sorry if this is a repeat, I did some searching but didn't find what I was lookin' for.

I have the 2008 WRX navigation package and I have just three quick questions about it.

First off: What about updating? Updating the firmware and the software? If an update comes out that can update the firmware to fix bugs or add functionality, I'd like to know where I could get it. Similarly, is there a place I can go to get the new map CDs?

Secondly: I'm looking to 'override' my Navigation input restriction when moving. Also, if possible, override DVD locking during movement. While I don't think it would be smart or safe to watch a DVD while driving, my passengers might like the ability. I offer the following video as an example of what I'd like:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1HjA...eature=related
    This is how to unlock the Toyota (and therefore Lexus... or visa versa) navigation. I've tried something similar with mine on various screens but no go.

Lastly: It appears to me it's almost like this navigation system is like a very basic operating system with a "live cd" (map cd) that gives it functionality... my silly question is... is this open to other operating systems? Like Linux? I guess I'm trying to turn this navigation system into more of a Car-Puter, with out replacing hardware.

Any ideas guys? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

come onn

100+ views and no reply!! I hope someone has an answer... I'm on the same boat is this dude!

Thanks redrum. I've noticed that if the E-Brake light is on, you regain control of the system. This is a simple override that's common to most speed-sensitive navigations. But, all and all, my questions still stand, I don't want to be driving on the interstate with that E-Brake light on, not that it's engaged, it's just on.
    I... I'm sorry... I don't want to join your alliances... in a funny, counter productive way, alliances just segregate us... Can't all Subie owners just hold hands?!
    (Defeating my own purpose...)
    First declared non-alliance member... 001.

I did the same mod. There's a wire that connects to the ebrake to make sure it's up before you get to watch movies. You have a few options:

1. There's a small pin that comes up and down with the ebrake. Push it down with your finger and it magically makes the ebrake light go off. So, you could tape or whatever it down so that the ebrake can work independently and still send a signal saying that it's always on.

2. If you don't want to see the ebrake light on all the time and depending on what type of nav you have, you can do either mod #2 or 3. You would need to ground that wire connecting to the ebrake. Easiest way i've found of doing this is to find the ground to the nav unit itself (should be black and a pretty decent size wire). Just splice the ebrake wire into that and the nav will think the ebrake is on all the time, but the light won't show b/c your ebrake is still in tact.

3. It sounds like your unit works only if the ebrake is on and not a combo of a few other elements. Some cars need to be in park + the ebrake. In order to check for this, figure out which wires are coming out the back of the nav and see if they're not speaker related. You'd essentially need to hook them up to a double switch to make them think that you're in park and have the ebrake on. You'd have to figure out the combo, but both switches would most likely both need to be up or down to fool both sensors.

It's a pretty easy mod once you figure out how many connection points you'll need. Be careful as a driver, i've definitely gotten distracted by funny movies at points and all it takes is 2 secs with your eyes off the road to crash. Otherwise, it's great for entertainment on long drives.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.