Race harnesses ... any that dont sacrifice back seat room?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Race harnesses ... any that dont sacrifice back seat room? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Name says it all.I am looking into getting a set of sparco racing seats and I want to add a ...

Race harnesses ... any that dont sacrifice back seat room?

Name says it all.I am looking into getting a set of sparco racing seats and I want to add a harness for racing days. The ones i have seen (takata, sparco) have shoulder straps that mount into the rear seats or into a bulky aftermarket bar. Is having a harness practical if i plan to seat 4 people in my wrx at times??? any help at all would be great ... flame away

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by STIdreamer View Post
    Name says it all.I am looking into getting a set of sparco racing seats and I want to add a harness for racing days. The ones i have seen (takata, sparco) have shoulder straps that mount into the rear seats or into a bulky aftermarket bar. Is having a harness practical if i plan to seat 4 people in my wrx at times??? any help at all would be great ... flame away
    i don't know why anyone would flame you for ths if you're actually going to take it to the track

well i live in phoenix and there are tons of twisty desert roads in the middle of nowhere. I just dont want to lose my wrx's daily drivability

unless you're actually going to the track dont waste your time with them. The safety system in your car is designed to work as a system. This includes the stock 3 point harnesses. The way a race saftey system works is by compleatly restraining you from the accident. In an accident the harness keeps you from moving, the roll cage protects you if the car flips (because with the harness and HANS you wont be able to move), the HANS keeps you from getting whiplash because without it the only thing that moves is your head, and the helmet protects you from hitting your head on the roll cage.

If you add a harness you're putting yourself in danger because the stock safety system isn't designed to work with it, such as the seatbelt airbag sensors. The airbag will fire unneccicarly hard because the car wont think that you are restrained.

From a compleatly practical standpoint, for the harness to work properly it has to be so tight that you can't lift a shoulder from the seat, thus, merging and checking your blind spot is next to impossible. Also, even with harness and cage in the car, you would need a helmet to actually be safe in your trip around the block to the grocery store (padding on the cage [I]isn't[I] enough.)

if you end up installing it, keep the 3point to use on the road, and only use the harness on the track.

my $.02
    '02 Stage II WRX PSM Sport Wagon

...and one more thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end.- Homer Simpson

Teh Wagon

okay, well would the standard seatbelt work with a racing seat?

my friend has sparco 5pt harness in his dd wrx there fine. The way it looks it is as if there is no legroom but it is actually fine to sit in I just don't like staring at the bar when im riding in the back

yeah i was checkin that one out ... i just thought my passengers would end up with a nice lump on their head if i made a quick stop

yeah it kinda looked that way lol

Unfortunately, the best you can do if you run a 5, or 6 point on the street is have the back seat for stuff.

If you use a harness bar, or proper roll bar there is all that steel right in front of the rear seat passengers. Very intimidating and potentially dangerous. (I had a roll bar in my old BMW.)

With no bar you have to mount the shoulder harness at a 45 deg, or flatter angle to avoid spinal compression in a head on collision. Passing the belts through slot between the upper and lower seat backs barely meets this requirement. No one can sit there.

I run a 4 point on the street and hook up the 6th point to play. 6th point because I'm using the front seat mounting points to secure the strap. For just a 5th point you'd have to drill a hole...
    Cones don't count at Hillclimbs.

I've actually been thinking of doing something like the type of harnesses made by schroth except with some other type of harness. That way I can take out the harness whenever I want, tuck the side straps and submarine straps under the seat and use the 3 pt while driving people around. I would have to custom make it using old seatbelt peices but if I could do that it would work well I think... and I wouldn't have to make any new mounts, just clip into the factory harness things.

The schroth one I'm talking about mounts the side straps in the stock location and the shoulder straps hook into the back seat plug ins... you would have to add one plug in on the driver side though to make it work. and I'm sure you could attach the submarine straps crossing underneath the seat and attach them to the side belt positions. you would probably have to use a camlock harness if you used over a 4 pt though... which I would suggest if you don't want to have internal bleeding.

Like this?

The anti sub strap lives under the drivers floor mat most of the time and during play time when the strap is connected the mat is removed to keep the pedals clear.

Since I run the car in AS the factory 3 point still in the car, but is pulled behind the seat and fastened normally. Never a seat belt chime. The lab belt is bolted to the stock lower belt mounting points. The lap belt can lay down between the seat and the door sill on one side and center tunnel on the other if you want to use the stock belt. The shoulder harness can then be pulled back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_9186-web.jpg  

just like that except how are your shoulder harnesses attached to the car? I was thinking of using stock rear belt locations and plug them into those and I could just store the shoulder harnesses in the trunk when not in use so I don't have to buy a harness bar. Do you use a harness bar or how are your shoulder harnesses connected?

I'm using the child seat mounts under the rear seat. Two bolts hold the seat down. They center belts nicely behind the driver. I wish they were a little beefier, but I feel they are adequate. The lab belts are stout and there is always the air bag in a full frontal. (I HATE air bags.) Like I said you want a 45 degree angle or flatter for the shoulder harness and this location is the minimum.

If thats the case I could probably get away with having them connected at all times and put them under the rear flooer mats like you did with the anti sub strap. I think I'll buy a harness today then...

It stopped raining. Here is a rear harness shot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0362-web.jpg  
    Last edited by Web Foot STi; 01-05-2008 at 01:49 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.