Windshield silk-screened sun shade

This is a discussion on Windshield silk-screened sun shade within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, Posted this question awhile back, got no replies. My new 06 has a sun shade silk-screened onto the ...

Windshield silk-screened sun shade

Hey guys,
    Posted this question awhile back, got no replies.

My new 06 has a sun shade silk-screened onto the windshield behind the rear-view mirror. Right where I want to put my V1 radar detector. Can some of it be scraped away with a razor blade?

And how 'bout those damn air bag warning stickers on the visors? Anyone know how to remove them from the cloth visor? I HATE those things!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Angry

Humph! Well, since no one has replied with even a guess, much less any knowlege, I guess I'm the guinea pig.... Maybe I'll go ask my local windshield shop for their opinion.....

Solution?

OK, I think I've come up with a solution...... May not be elegant, but....

Trying to scrape off the "silk-screened" sunshade on the windshield proved fruitless, and I just didn't have the balls to take the Dremel Tool to it, fearing I might do serious damage (i.e.cracking) to the glass.

The solution was staring me in the face. Ya know those window stickers the oil change guys fix to the inside corner of your windshield to remind you when to get it changed again? Well, I had some larger pieces of that stuff that I'd peeled off the front of my new HD Dish receiver, and I realized that the suction cups for the radar detector would stick to that just great. So I took a 2x4" piece of it and tried to affix it to the area in question. It took a bit of doing, and I did get it to stick to the glass, but it doesn't stick as well as it does to a nice, smooth piece of glass. I then affixed the detector's suction cups to the plastic film, and it stuck like glue. Unfortunately, the plastic film didn't stick like glue, at least not well enough to be considered permanent. However, the solution to that would be to glue it on. My wife does fused glass and she has this glue called E6000 she uses to glue hanging loops to smaller glass pieces, and it dries clear. However it IS permanent. I thought about using Contact Cement, but thought it might yellow. I also thought about using a hair dryer to warm the glass before trying to affix the plastic film, thinking the cold glass just isn't as "attractive" as warm glass, but figured it's still the stippled silk screen that just isn't allowing the film to stick as well as it does on smooth glass. I'll experiment some more and let ya know what I end up doing......

Cheers!

If you're gonna go ghetto...

Build a small custom bracket that tucks into the headliner or attaches to your mirror.

Bear in mind, you want your radar detector to have a clear view so don't put it too high.

Or you could just buy a radar detector which is designed to be installed inconspicuously with a remote display wired in.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Yeah, making some kind of custom bracket is an option. Bit of a PITA tho.
    In my '03, my V1 suction-cupped to the glass right above the mirror and it worked great. High enough to see over rises in front, AND see out the back window. (For those who don't know, the V1 sees radar and laser both front and rear and tells you which, even from the sides.) (Tho I don't think it sees laser from the sides) It's the darned textured shade on the inside surface of the glass that doesn't allow the suction cups to stick.

I was playing around with that plastic film as a smooth base for the suction cups to stick to, then realized, DUH!, why don't you just use some clear packing tape, ya dope! THAT will stick, AND not be permanent. Not sure how well it'll remain stuck in the summer heat, tho.....

Airbag warning stickers... I remember reading how to remove them. It involved very careful use of a heat gun and pulling it off. Be careful though as too much heat and you'll have a nice black spot, or better yet, a hole through your visor.
    "90 miles an hour through trees sideways is pretty damn scary" ~Ken Block

Thanks for that tip. If you can dig up a link, that'd be even better.

Back to the radar detector mounting..... Yesterday I took some alcohol and wiped the area of that glass sun shade where I wanted to mount the detector. I then took a section of 3M (i.e. good quality) clear packing tape and applied it to the stippled area of the sun shade. I also cleaned the suction cups of the detector mount, gave each a lick, and stuck it to the taped area so that the detector eye was just below the sun shade, and just above the rear view mirror. Right where I wanted it. Seems to be working (sticking) just fine.

Only question now is: will the tape remain stuck on this summer when the temps are in the triple-digits!?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Subie Doo View Post
    Only question now is: will the tape remain stuck on this summer when the temps are in the triple-digits!?
    I doubt it would standup or for very long. However, for the amount of money and time you would be investing it is certainly worth a try. You may want to google search for some clear tape that would definitely stand up to the temp swings. The only thing in Lowe's or Depot that would definitely stand up (that I know of) is Tyvek type... but it's not clear and would look like crap.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"It's like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Another thought

Another, more elegant, if a bit more pricey, might be to go to a window tinting place and have that whole area given a light-tint film. Now THAT adhesive is gonna stay put in triple-digit heat, no? Then my trusty V1 would be right where I want him for good, with style.

IF anybody cares.....been three months, now it's April, tape and radar detector are still sticking no problem. Let's see how it does come summer.

Thumbs up

OK, it's the end of July now. It's been pretty warm. Not too many 100-degree days, but certainly it's been hot enough in the car that if that tape was gonna let go from the heat, it would've done it by now. Not even a hint that it's getting weak. Radar detector is holding fast, and Subie Doo is happy.