Defi HUD Install

This is a discussion on Defi HUD Install within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just finished this and thought I'd share my experience. Finding the wiring diagram for the ecu was probably the ...

Defi HUD Install

I just finished this and thought I'd share my experience. Finding the wiring diagram for the ecu was probably the hardest part of this install, on the whole it was pretty simple though.

First off remove the shift boot and cover, then remove the bezel around the stereo by pulling out the two screws at the bottom, then carfully popping the top out. Unplug the environmental controls and set them off to the side.

Remove the stereo and unplug it.

Wire the red Defi wire to the smaller diameter blue wire on the radio harness.

The black Defi to the black on the radio harness.

The white Defi to the Purple on the radio harness.

The orange Defi wire to the green w/ orange stripe on the A/C harness.

Turn the ignition on to make sure everything works. Now pull back the carpet on the passengers side to access the ECU. Remove the metal cover and the nuts holding the ECU in place, then unplug it from the harness.

I found this image on Nasioc. Thanks to winterbeater.

Attach the blue Defi wire to the Tach wire and the orange Defi wire to the Speedo.

Reinstall everything in the passenger compartment and run the defi wires through the center pedestal. Now reinstall the radio and pass the wires into the drivers side.

Now hook everything up, mount the projector where you want it, and attach the film to the windshield (ginormous pita). That's it.

The velcro is temporary, the kit comes with double sided tape.

I like it so far. I'm going to hook up the defi control unit so I have boost, oil temp and press, and EGT. I'm not sure I like the present location, but on the whole it beats having a bunch of guages imo.

This thread walked me through most of the wiring.
    Last edited by 06ltd; 12-13-2007 at 01:30 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    That looks great. Is it possible to center the projection a little bit more?
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

I Support ClubWRX
    awesome
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Thanks. Yeah, you can place it anywhere you like. I just found that spot the least intrusive in my field of vision, and the instrument cluster makes mounting the projector there a little more complicated. So far I'm pretty happy with the location and I definitely look at it more than the analog guages now.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 06ltd View Post
    Thanks. Yeah, you can place it anywhere you like. I just found that spot the least intrusive in my field of vision, and the instrument cluster makes mounting the projector there a little more complicated. So far I'm pretty happy with the location and I definitely look at it more than the analog guages now.
    HUD is always nice.

Few questions:

Can you change the HUD color?

Can you display more than one gauge at once when you connect the control unit? I.e. HUD of oil press, boost and temp all at once.

How does it mount to the dash, and is it "cheesy"?

Do you think making an OBD2-HUD unit jumper harness is possible so you don't have to "vampire tap" ecu wires?

Why didn't you mount the HUD control box in the glove box, where the cigarette lighter is, single din pocket, etc?

thanx.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    HUD is always nice.

Few questions:

Can you change the HUD color?
    No, however it does have five different brightness levels.

Can you display more than one gauge at once when you connect the control unit? I.e. HUD of oil press, boost and temp all at once.
    That's my understanding. Since I haven't been able to hook all those things up yet I can't say for certain, but I'm 99percent sure you can display all that stuff at once.

How does it mount to the dash, and is it "cheesy"?
    I don't think it's "cheesy" but this is definitely the weakest aspect. It just mounts to the dash like a satelite radio, with a small pedestal and some adhesive (which is really strong). Personally, I'll put up with this to get all the above information without a half dozen guages.

From the drivers seat it's not really that visible.

Do you think making an OBD2-HUD unit jumper harness is possible so you don't have to "vampire tap" ecu wires?
    Somebody smarter than me might be able to come up with something like that. The vampire taps don't harm the wires any and I attached them far enough back that if I had to get rid of the car for whatever reason it wouldn't be evident anything had been messed with.

Why didn't you mount the HUD control box in the glove box, where the cigarette lighter is, single din pocket, etc?
    Well, I wanted to be able to reach the control box easily, so that rules out the glove box, it's too wide to fit in the cigarrette lighter pocket, and I have a double din stereo. Also, I'm kind of lazy.

I Support ClubWRX
    Last question:

How much was it?
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I paid 270 for the HUD and the Defi control unit. I'm sure you could find it for less than that, but I bought it locally and am willing to pay a bit more to support a local business. However, that does NOT include the sending units for oil press/temp etc. I'm still waiting to hear back from Defi if I have to get the entire unit, or if they will send me just the pigtails so I can use equipment that I already own.

is this the one where the numbers and tach turn red at an rpm that you set... like a fancy shift light?
    "90 miles an hour through trees sideways is pretty damn scary" ~Ken Block

No, it just has a green and a red led that can be set as shift lights.

I looked a lot more closely at the display, and now I'm not sure you can look at all these at the same time. I think you have to cycle between them. Oh well.