Best A pillar pod?

This is a discussion on Best A pillar pod? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Have an 05 STi. I'm getting the prosport amber gauges for EGT, OP, and Boost. I was wondering if anyone ...

Registered User The Black Pearl's Avatar

Best A pillar pod?

Have an 05 STi. I'm getting the prosport amber gauges for EGT, OP, and Boost. I was wondering if anyone knew of an a pillar gauge pod that is easy to install (no drilling) and preferably comes painted to match interior? I heard the Autometer pods just clip on like the stock plastic a pillar piece but i would have to paint it. If thats the case what paint and where to get it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I don't know what paint to use, but I'm sure if you just find gray spray paint and see if it matches...the one I bought second hand was already painted when I got it...

I bought a triple pod from someone on here and he said it was Autometer, but I had to drill. It only took 1 screws (I used 2 for a tighter fit), but fit OVER the stock one. It was simple and looks great now, so I don't mind. And if I never need a new pillar cover, then I'll spend the $40 at Subaru...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    First off I hate A-pillar pods. I have owned several and they never fit right. That being said every one I have owned either requires drilling or strong adhesive tape.

For paint match, I took my stock a-pillar to the local auto paint supplier and had them color match. Told them what it was for and they mixed a quart of single stage paint for like $30. They can put it in a spray can for you, but a touch up gun is like $10 at harbor freight.

Then you'll have enough paint for about 20 a pillar pods. Buy extras and sell them color matched with mounting kit. I'm sure people will buy them.

Good luck.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I love my A Pillar pod

Fits great and holds the gauges nice and snuggly.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I love my A Pillar pod

Fits great and holds the gauges nice and snuggly.
    ...for now. Wait until it gets 50k on the clock, A pillar pods create nice squeaks and rattles and start fitting not so well from 2 years and about 50k-150k in the California sun.
    Last edited by 06wrx4me; 12-12-2007 at 01:37 PM.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    ...for now. Wait until it gets 50k on the clock, A pillar pods create nice squeaks and rattles and start fitting not so well from 2 years and about 50k-150k in the California sun.
    I'm in Jersey...and then I'd just buy a new one

I'm thinking about abandoning it anyway and going with the factory gauge cluster pod ring...little more sleeperish

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    well for that many miles combined with the California sun, id have say all of that is acceptable wear and tear. 100K is a LOOONG time.
    My Myspace
    Wingl3ss @lliance #6

MODS:VF39 Turbo, 650cc DW injectors, SSAC FMIC, Cobb Short Ram Intake, GFB StealthFX Hybrid, NGK One-Step-Colder Plugs, Walbro Fuel Pump, Perrin Up-pipe, TurboXS 3" TBE Catless, Blitz SBC-id 3, Protune by Mead Engineering.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekina View Post
    well for that many miles combined with the California sun, id have say all of that is acceptable wear and tear. 100K is a LOOONG time.
    4 years for me
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Registered User The Black Pearl's Avatar
    Thanks for the ideas. I found the Glow Shift triple pillar pod in Subaru Gray here:

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/index...PROD&ProdID=53

Anyone know if this pod works well or not? I heard they don't fit as well as the Autometer from one person.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Pearl View Post
    Thanks for the ideas. I found the Glow Shift triple pillar pod in Subaru Gray here:

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/index...PROD&ProdID=53

Anyone know if this pod works well or not? I heard they don't fit as well as the Autometer from one person.
    I wanna know about this one as well. Will it fit on a wagon?
    Blobeye Syndicate #1337
    man vs technology blog
    MvT@YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Pearl View Post

02-07 Subaru Impreza, WRX & STI Gray Triple Pillar Pod - GS-326g

I just recently purchased this pillar pod.. i have an AEM UEGO WIDEBAND A/F Ratio Gauge/Controller and also purchases a boost and fuel pressure gauge from glowshift.. i will take acouple photos when i'm done and tell you how it fits.. the color is meh.. its close to matching but idk if i want to paint it or not.. i'm kinda lazy so prolly not.

Why do you want the pod? Kind of rice if you ask me...
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

glowshift trip pillar pod = disaster... do not buy.. went with autometer instead fits much nicer..

Quote Originally Posted by WRXMech View Post
    glowshift trip pillar pod = disaster... do not buy.. went with autometer instead fits much nicer..
    I can verify this...Autometer fits nicely OVER the factory one, so you can just screw it or double sided tape right over it, and still tucks under the window molding and such.

The glowshifts are cheap plastic and don't fit well at all.