Need opinion on amplifier - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Need opinion on amplifier within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I apologize, not too many of us on here are big audiophiles anymore. I have a lot of knowledge and ...

I Support ClubWRX
    I apologize, not too many of us on here are big audiophiles anymore. I have a lot of knowledge and know how (used to design and install systems) on the subject but no interest or patience for it now that I can't hear.

SD_GR is a very knowledgeable guy (I think he owns Wikipedia).

For the best advice on designing your system, a more helpful forum would undoubtedly be:

www.sounddomain.com
    www.cardomain.com

They should be able to steer you in the right direction.

As a whole here we seem just to "Wanna go fast."
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by scoobyroo View Post
    So a guy at a store recommended this amp:
    http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...9&locale=en_US
    How would I wire this set-up to have 300 going to each sub? Positive from amp to positive on one sub, neg from sub to pos on other sub, then neg from last sub to neg on amp?
    OK so this is going to get a little confusing, but i will try to keep this as clear as possible.

1. Keep ure current amp. Its 400W RMS vs that rockford that dude reccomended which is 300 RMS. Peak power means nothing, its all about the rms. Since neither amp is the 500W RMS u want, u may as well keep your current one.

2: Wiring the subs... here is where it will get confusing, luckily I was able to find a diagram for you. so its not gonna be that confusing after all.
    http:://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/woofer_wizard/2_2ohmDVC_2ohm.gif

Are each of your subs 2 ohm rated?

Even though "stereo" isnt really recommended for subs, it could work fine with your stereo amp. Simply put one 2 ohm sub on each amp channel, this will gain you a lot of power over more common 4 ohm rated subs. I had a TRU Technology amp in which I ran two JL 10W3 that way.

http://74.220.202.31/~bellbott/sounds.html

I found your amp. It is a BAD match for two 2 ohm subs.

200 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms (400 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms)
    To acheive the 400Wrms you want, you need to present the amp with a 2 ohm final load. You cannot do that with two 2 ohm subs. You either parallel them for a 1 ohm load, or you series them for a 4 ohm load. Neither one is the 2 ohm load you want. Swap your subs for two 4 ohm subs. Then parallel them down to 2 ohm. Then your amp works fine at 400Wrms. The amp is smarter to keep since its mono and already made for subs.
    Last edited by plac; 11-19-2007 at 09:53 AM.
    2011 VW GTI - K04

Sorry guys, I made a huge mistake. Subs are SVC 4ohm rated at 200 rms. I had them wired in series.. producing an 8ohm load on the amp. I re-wired them parallel last night and they sound a lot better! Thanks for all the help though. I've read everyone's advice and links and got myself a basic knowledge of what to do so I don't get in a rut like this again .

Soon to come anyways, two 12" type-r's and a 1000 watt mono alpine amp. The P2's will do for now though

Thanks again!

perfect then. parallel for the 2 ohm load which gets the most out of your amp.
    2011 VW GTI - K04

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.