HELP! What is this? W/ Pics
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on HELP! What is this? W/ Pics within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; The story: I installed my COBB cat-back last weekend and a day or two later I noticed this faint puttering ...

DUB

HELP! What is this? W/ Pics

The story: I installed my COBB cat-back last weekend and a day or two later I noticed this faint puttering noise coming from the back of my wagon. I did some snooping around and found that the noise was coming from this mystery part. It seems to be some sort of vent to the outside air? The deep pulsating of the COBB at idle is causing the little rubber vent covers to bang against the plastic and make this faint but noticeable irritating noise.

So, what is this thing? What is its purpose? Would it be a huge mistake to remove the two little rubber flapper/covers that are making the noise?

It is located inside the jack compartment, if you cant tell from the pics.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Those are air vents. Their purpose is to dissipate/equalize cabin pressure (i.e. vent to the outside) so that your doors will close.

Removing them will allow excess dust, water and little critters inside. I'd leave them alone.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

DUB
    I see. Thanks Jeremy.

Well, I removed the flappers because the noise was unacceptable. The back side of them was pretty dirty, which is now dirt that will end up in my car. I also don't want critters finding their way in.

So, my next task is to figure out how to modify them so they can't slap against the plastic vent frame and make the noise.

Here is what they look like. Any ideas?

i dont think i can thank you enough dub. ive had that same annoying noise in my 06 since i bought it and couldnt find it. after i read this i went and checked mine out. same piece was making the problem.

THANKYOU
    "Whatever it takes"

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by independent 68 View Post
    i dont think i can thank you enough dub. ive had that same annoying noise in my 06 since i bought it and couldnt find it. after i read this i went and checked mine out. same piece was making the problem.

THANKYOU
    Sweet man, glad I could help. What is your plan? Are you gonna remove the flappers or modify them to stop making the noise?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.