2008 wrx boost gauge ?

This is a discussion on 2008 wrx boost gauge ? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just got a boost gauge for my 08 wrx yesterday and Im not sure what vacume line to put ...

2008 wrx boost gauge ?

I just got a boost gauge for my 08 wrx yesterday and Im not sure what vacume line to put the "T" on. If anyone knows or has a pic of where it should go it would be really helpful.

Thanks guys
    2008 WRX Pearl White

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

bump
    2008 WRX Pearl White

alewis814
    Quote Originally Posted by LV08WRX View Post
    I just got a boost gauge for my 08 wrx yesterday and Im not sure what vacume line to put the "T" on. If anyone knows or has a pic of where it should go it would be really helpful.

Thanks guys
    you cut the rubber tube going into the blow off valve and use some zip ties or metal clamps to hold it tight, ill get a pic tomm if you want

hey where did u route the tubing thru the firewall at???

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    from 3gwrx with pics:

3gwrx.com

ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

It goes between the wastegate and Turbo NOT THE BLOW OFF VALVE. The entire install goes on the TURBO side of your engine compartment. Your instuctions should have a picture and if not you can go to aempower.com find their tru boost gauge and they have the instructions in pdf. with pictures that might help you understand a little better. You run the wiring through the grommet on the firewall on the passenger side. You can either cut a hole in the grommet or simply pull it away from the firewall and run the wiring between the grommet and the firewall, just make sure you wrap your wiring in some heavy electrical tape so it does not get pinched. You will find the same size hose coming from the manifold to the wastegate that came with your boost gauge. One of the hoses you will not need simply plug it with a screw.

Your boost gauge has to operate from the manifold pressure that runs between your turbo and your wastegate. The boost gauge does not control your turbo, in fact it controls your wastegate and how fast it opens and closes, the longer it takes to open the more boost. Your turbo simply spools up faster or slower based on your settings - that ultimately control the wastegate. The faster it opens the less boost. Simple.

I purchased a boost gauge for my 08 wrx from AEM. I did as much research as I could find on the web before I installed it, I saw pictures of installs but they didnt make sense when matched with my directions. I finally went down to AEM a tech guy came out showed me exactly where to hook everything up. And it definitely does not go anywhere near the Blow Off valve. He also recommended that I do not use a boost gauge on this year WRX as the boost gauge will cause spikes in boost pressure that could harm the engine, he recommended that I TUNE the car which will in turn increase my boost pressure without the external boost gauge. I have read blogs on other WRX forums and have asked how people have installed their gauges, asked for pics of their installs, what settings they have their boost set at, and all the info I could gather was vague at best. I ended up selling my boost gauge, I decided to err on the side of caution. But I did install a SPT exhaust and AEM cold air intake. Next step will be to purchase a CobbAccessPort and do a stage 1 tune,(which increases boost pressure) then eventually when I have the funds I will purchase a Cobb downpipe and go the Stage 2 tune, which again will increase boost pressure. I was told by the Tech at AEM that the 08 WRX's engine is one of the most sensitive engines that Subaru has produced and that it is a TRUE TUNER Car. GOOD LUCK!
    Last edited by subikat; 08-06-2008 at 11:00 AM.

i believe you are talking about a boost controller, not a boost gauge...there is quite a bit of difference.....i have it routed through the firewall, and it is in line with the BOV.....
    2008 WRX 5 door - Autometer Cobalt Boost Gauge, SPT Race Grill, Sti Pedals, SPT catback exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by subikat View Post
    The boost gauge does not control your turbo, in fact it controls your wastegate and how fast it opens and closes, the longer it takes to open the more boost.

He also recommended that I do not use a boost gauge on this year WRX as the boost gauge will cause spikes in boost pressure that could harm the engine,
    uhh, no
    --Justin

Hawk-Eye Alliance #128

It goes between the wastegate and Turbo NOT THE BLOW OFF VALVE. The entire install goes on the TURBO side of your engine compartment. Your instuctions should have a picture and if not you can go to aempower.com find their tru boost gauge and they have the instructions in pdf. with pictures that might help you understand a little better. You run the wiring through the grommet on the firewall on the passenger side. You can either cut a hole in the grommet or simply pull it away from the firewall and run the wiring between the grommet and the firewall, just make sure you wrap your wiring in some heavy electrical tape so it does not get pinched. You will find the same size hose coming from the manifold to the wastegate that came with your boost gauge. One of the hoses you will not need simply plug it with a screw. is this guy really talking about a BOOST GAUGE?
    is this accurate?

Your boost gauge has to operate from the manifold pressure that runs between your turbo and your wastegate. The boost gauge does not control your turbo, in fact it controls your wastegate and how fast it opens and closes, the longer it takes to open the more boost. Your turbo simply spools up faster or slower based on your settings - that ultimately control the wastegate. The faster it opens the less boost. Simple.

I purchased a boost gauge for my 08 wrx from AEM. I did as much research as I could find on the web before I installed it, I saw pictures of installs but they didnt make sense when matched with my directions. I finally went down to AEM a tech guy came out showed me exactly where to hook everything up. And it definitely does not go anywhere near the Blow Off valve. He also recommended that I do not use a boost gauge on this year WRX as the boost gauge will cause spikes in boost pressure that could harm the engine, he recommended that I TUNE the car which will in turn increase my boost pressure without the external boost gauge. I have read blogs on other WRX forums and have asked how people have installed their gauges, asked for pics of their installs, what settings they have their boost set at, and all the info I could gather was vague at best. I ended up selling my boost gauge, I decided to err on the side of caution. But I did install a SPT exhaust and AEM cold air intake. Next step will be to purchase a CobbAccessPort and do a stage 1 tune,(which increases boost pressure) then eventually when I have the funds I will purchase a Cobb downpipe and go the Stage 2 tune, which again will increase boost pressure. I was told by the Tech at AEM that the 08 WRX's engine is one of the most sensitive engines that Subaru has produced and that it is a TRUE TUNER Car. GOOD LUCK!
    is this boost gauge, or boost controller?
    Last edited by Yayoshow; 06-03-2010 at 07:37 PM.