What are the wires under our seats?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on What are the wires under our seats? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 04 wrx wagon that does not have heated seats. There are however wires that run from the ...

What are the wires under our seats?

I have a 04 wrx wagon that does not have heated seats. There are however wires that run from the center console to the seats, wraped in black plastic. Can't figure out what they are for since the seats aren't power seats.. Could it be that the car is wired for heated seats but just doesn't have the controls?

curious.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by courtleve View Post
    I have a 04 wrx wagon that does not have heated seats. There are however wires that run from the center console to the seats, wraped in black plastic. Can't figure out what they are for since the seats aren't power seats.. Could it be that the car is wired for heated seats but just doesn't have the controls?

curious.
    there are lots of sensors, aren't there.....?

Quote Originally Posted by efmd3 View Post
    there are lots of sensors, aren't there.....?
    Sensors in the seat?? For what you think?

Are they the automated airbag sensors? I know in the 06 if no one is sitting in the passenger seat it shuts off the airbag

Sensors in the seat?? For what you think?
    if there's a person in the seat, and i want to say some cars use the weight of the person in the seat for some calculation in the airbag deployment...maybe i'm dreaming/drinking...

Quote Originally Posted by efmd3 View Post
    if there's a person in the seat, and i want to say some cars use the weight of the person in the seat for some calculation in the airbag deployment...maybe i'm dreaming/drinking...
    Could be for sure airbag sensors. I had a 2006 toyota tacoma and if you set something heavy on the passenger seat a light on the dash would light up if you didn't buckle the seat belt. Nothing like that on the wrx, no way to turn off the airbag, etc. so my guess is that 04 was before such devices.

I just wonder if things like heated seats are actually installed on all seats, just not hooked up with the controler. Mass production seats and such it would seem easier to make them all the same and just not add the controller when it's assembled. Just a guess however.

Seems odd that both seats would have wiring, makes me wonder if they are for the heaters?

Could be for sure airbag sensors. I had a 2006 toyota tacoma and if you set something heavy on the passenger seat a light on the dash would light up if you didn't buckle the seat belt. Nothing like that on the wrx, no way to turn off the airbag, etc. so my guess is that 04 was before such devices.

I just wonder if things like heated seats are actually installed on all seats, just not hooked up with the controler. Mass production seats and such it would seem easier to make them all the same and just not add the controller when it's assembled. Just a guess however.

Seems odd that both seats would have wiring, makes me wonder if they are for the heaters?
    there are no heaters...period

I Support ClubWRX
    There are weight/seat-belt sensors in both the front seats... even in 04 models.

The weight/air-bag thing I'm not sure about in the 04 but that weight/airbag feature was created protect smaller kids/people from being injured by airbag deployment.

And no, there are no seat heaters in the 04s.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

There will be a wire atached to your seatbelt that detects if your seatbelt is buckled and is connected in the SRS unit so if your not buckled in the airbags wont deploy kinda one of those thigs like "I wanna die.....im not going to wear my seat belt" then your cars senses that and says wish granted. And of course the airbag sensor the airbag sensor is yellow ALWAYS the other black one is the seat belt one idk if there are anyother ones those are the 2 that i have seen in every car ive worked on (of course I work at Honda) but i figure all cars are similar

Registered User Electric-Mayhem's Avatar
    The side impact Airbags are inside the seat, and I think that wire is for those. The seat belt sensor comes right out of the buckle as I recall. Those are the only wires attached to the seat in my 04 wagon (Switched them out for 04 STI seats and those were the only ones I had to deal with).

JH
    2004 World Rally Blue WRX Wagon
    Stage 3 (and rising)
    STI shortblock, STI TMIC, VF39 Turbo, Turboback, and Opensource Tuning (Enginuity and Boostcreep Special)
    www.enginuity.org (highly recommended)

I heard something about a 3ohm transister tricking the sensor and turning the "airbag light" off.

Anyone know what seats are compatible that wont throw up air bag light?

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome. You should introduce yourself in the NMH.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

According to the FSM, front driver's seat has an airbag wire (in yellow) and a seat-belt fastened wire (in black). Passenger seat has only the airbag wire.
    Attached Files
    '05 silver WRX
    Blobeye Syndicate #28
    Raammat Soundproof Thread
    The Octane Thread

Ejection seat wiring.
    -John
    Different Strokes
    Dirty Crew #2002
    Mods in profile.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast