mounting 3 gauges on a-pillar = rice?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on mounting 3 gauges on a-pillar = rice? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey all new to wrx's.. picking one up within a few weeks. anyway, i plan on going cobb stage 2, ...

mounting 3 gauges on a-pillar = rice?

hey all

new to wrx's.. picking one up within a few weeks.

anyway, i plan on going cobb stage 2, and i want to pick up the three usual gauges (boost, egt, oil temp). i always thoughed it looked badass on the a-pillar

i noticed most people dont do this, they usually do the steering column or in the center where the clock is.

any reason to this? i want to keep my clock and keep a clean steering column.

is there like a stigma surrounding a-pillar mounted gauges that i should know about?

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It would only be rice if you had 12 on your non-VTEC hon-duh that was putting out less HP than my lawnmower.

Turbo car making more than 200hp, not rice.

Zero sports lets you keep the clock.
    http://www.japanparts.com/db/parts_detail.php

If you don't like how it looks then don't do it, if you like how it looks do it. People in the Subaru community tend to use the word "Ricey" more than it needs to be used. Especially after the 06 came out with the tail lights. F em, do what you like.

Function - Flash + Random^2 = Ricey (I think that's the formula, though i haven't checked the how this works with the new math yet)

Gauges are functional, A pillar mount is at eye level and does not block your view (unlike the factory installed boost gauge that blocks how little gas you have left.)

I know you want to keep your clock, but IMO on the Suby, the gauges in the middle is much cleaner!! FTW

Its your car though man, dont let anyone change your mind on what you want

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    If it serves an actual "purpose"... it's not rice.

Gauges - Functional
    wheels/tires - Functional
    performance springs - functional
    big brakes - functional
    big stereo - functional
    OEM body parts - may not always be functional, but can't be considered "rice" because the manufacturer put them there.

The following items serve NO PURPOSE whatsoever.... and in my opinion, don't even look good (unless your 15 years old):

non-sponsored sponsor Stickers = Rice (unless OEM)
    aluminum wings = rice
    fartcan muffler on stock exhaust = rice
    japanese symbols = rice
    ANYTHING carbon fiber = rice (I know I'm going to get eaten alive over that one)

"questionable" items..... which means they aren't rice if you can back it up

BOVs
    upgraded emblems (ex: STI emblem on a WRX)

Of course.. this is just my opinion... and before I get bashed, I have:
    1) A BOV (a good one)
    2) A fartcan muffler (backing up a 3' TBE)
    3) SPT decals (in the same door location as factory STI decals)
    4) S204 / 07 STI ltd. front lip (obviously not original to my car).

I don't consider what I've done as "ricey".... but others may...

Of course..... there's exceptions to everything.

If your car goes 200+mph... you can get a big wing--LOL

Or... a 5-inch monster tach in the center dashboard of a stock Chevy cavalier?? Yea.. thats rice--LOL
    Last edited by ninefourteener; 10-03-2007 at 09:16 PM.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/165158-ninfourteeners-progress-thread-pics.html
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

Gauges are a good thing to have especially if you start modding your car. Get worthwhile ones.
    Personally, the A-pillar is handy because of being at eye level. I have two around the gauge cluster and it is a bit crowded.

As for BOV - I have a Worx DS2 and I can definitely tell a difference between shifts and spool up over stock.
    Rice would be getting one of those items that SOUNDS like a bov but really is just a speaker...
    Hawkeye - 808
    2006 WRB Wagon
    mod list http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/2188188-post359.html - hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by ninefourteener View Post
    If it serves an actual "purpose"... it's not rice.

Gauges - Functional
    Incase you couldn't tell by his Avatar...

Seriously though, if you read Ninefourteener's original build thread, you would know why he has so many gauges and they are all actually useful. He likes to know what his car is doing in as many aspects as he can...

I have an A-pillar with 3 gauges on it. It was one of the first things I did in my car when I got it. Boost gauge is virtually a necessity. I also have an Oil pressure gauge and A/F/Voltmeter. The AF is pointless unless its a wideband though, but I liked the one I got because it has a digital voltmeter in the center and it was rather cheap...and I needed to fill one of the spots on my pod I unplugged it because it got annoying. I am gonna replace it soon.

Some good gauges to have are boost, EGT, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Wideband A/F...first three are virtual necessities if you begin modding...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.