Mounting an Amp

This is a discussion on Mounting an Amp within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm gonna be installing an amp in my 02 sedan, but not sure where i should mount it...anyone have any ...

Mounting an Amp

I'm gonna be installing an amp in my 02 sedan, but not sure where i should mount it...anyone have any ideas? TIA.

Oh yeah, and the size is 13-1/4"W x 2-3/8"H x 9-9/16"D.
    bugeye mafia #116
    military militia #229
    super 16 powered...
    301 awhp
    261 awtq
    -a victim of the world becoming too soft.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i had mine installed on the back seat

When I installed mine, we built and carpeted a piece of MDF that went between the two rails that are the supports for the back seat and then we mounted the amp to that. The reason that I did that is the amp is really big, but also if you have to but a D-block in later it gives you somewhere to mount it. Also if you are willing to take a little time then you can hide all of your wires by cutting a hole beneath where you are going to mount the amp and then pulling all of the wires through that. Then all of the wires come out of the amp and disappear under it.

Banned
    Mine just gets shoved under the passenger side seat. along with a BIG capasitor. There's nothing that hold any of it in there but it doesn't move. It's going to become a problem in the winter though because my snowboards sit in the back seat.

I Support ClubWRX
    I mounted my amps to a carpeted board that is velcroed flat to the trunk carpet in the back of the trunk for the time being. Until I figure out what size sub I want to replace my 15" with.

if i put it under the side passenger seat, would it overheat??? i'm a little worried about cooling issues
    bugeye mafia #116
    military militia #229
    super 16 powered...
    301 awhp
    261 awtq
    -a victim of the world becoming too soft.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by synergyknight View Post
    if i put it under the side passenger seat, would it overheat??? i'm a little worried about cooling issues
    I would seriously doubt it if there is enough space between the bottom of the seat and the heat synchs and any fans aren't blocked.

I have had mine under the passenger seat for years with no problems. If I did it again I would put it under the drivers seat - because I rarely have passengers behind the drivers seat since its pushed back all the way (I'm 6'2") and passengers sitting behind the passenger seat always complain about the lack of foot room due to the amp

Here's how I did mine. I have 2 amps. 1 running the speakers and the other running the subs. And I had to relocate my light because of the amp on the left if you only have 1 then you should be good if not its not hard to do one zip tie. I like the basic look im not done you can see its more of a temorary mount for the subs but the amps are good the way they are and there out of the way plus it does not interfere with my rear strut bar

i just got my subie a couple of days ago and havent had time to put any sounds in, but i have wired sounds for many different cars. ive almost always put my amps under the front seats, mostly the drivers seat just because its not to often that some one sits there, but then again i live in a tropical climate so i dont really need to worry about snow or anything like that getting under the seat and near the amp, just some minor wet feet if/when it rains. just one thing about amps is to read the reviews on them, most of the major brands like alpine, mtx, etc. are pretty good about staying cool. wait, the mtx thunder series (i think it was this series) had a big problem with over heating. but yea, i know alpine amps are super good on staying cool, i have always used them and the v series are a good bang for your buck, but the new pdx amps are just plain sexy! to bad they cost so damn much. just one thing i would advise against, mounting your amp on your speaker box, not good. just for practicality, if you did and then wanted to free up some trunk space for a day or so, you would need to unhook all of your power wires just to take out your box!
    sure as hell ain't your grandma's wagon