Get rid of that ugly Cigarette Lighter adapter on your Satellite Radio

This is a discussion on Get rid of that ugly Cigarette Lighter adapter on your Satellite Radio within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello All, Due to frustration while installing my Sirius Satellite Radio, I decided to take some pics and write this ...

Get rid of that ugly Cigarette Lighter adapter on your Satellite Radio

Hello All,

Due to frustration while installing my Sirius Satellite Radio, I decided to take some pics and write this tutorial for all who want to get rid of the cigarette power supply that comes with satellite receivers.

My first thought was to cut the cig lighter adapter off and hard wire it. After looking at the adapter, I figured out that it is not 12v, rather it is 3v.

Here is what I did;

Parts List:
    12v Cigarette Lighter Add on Kit. ($6 any auto part store)
    Easy Taps, Vampire clips, etc. (or you can just splice the wires and reconnect) ($2)
    Phillips screw driver

First you will need to remove the trim piece that holds the ash tray and cigarette lighter. I have an automatic so I had to drop it into “1” to fish the trim piece out. Others may need to remove the shifter boot etc. Not sure.

Next you will see a clip that connects the original cigarette lighter to the car’s 12v power. Un-clip it and remove the whole assembly from the car.

Now would be a good time for a beer.

There are two wires coming out of the original cigarette lighter. One is a ground one is a 12v hot. You will need to tap into these two wires some how. I used a pair of easy taps as shown.

Next, connect your cigarette lighter add on kit to the two wires coming from the original cigarette lighter as shown.

As you can see in this picture, the Sirius lighter adapter now plugs into the cigarette lighter plug we just created.

Now all you need to do is fish your wires where you need them, tuck everything away and put it all back together.

I chose to go with the AC vent install option, mostly because I liked how it looked. You may install your sat radio anywhere you want.

And if you take your time, you will end up with a nice clean install, with NO wires hanging around and still retain the use of your factory cigarette lighter. (I use mine to charge my cell)

Look Ma’ NO WIRES!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yeah uhm, try to ignore Playboy Radio playing on the 2nd to the last pic. Hahaha.