aftermarket STI leather interior available?

This is a discussion on aftermarket STI leather interior available? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; All, I'm considering purchasing an STi, but one of the few things I don't like about the car is the ...

aftermarket STI leather interior available?

All,
    I'm considering purchasing an STi, but one of the few things I don't like about the car is the interior (color scheme/not leather).

I liked the interior available in the standard WRX I drove, and I was wondering if there are any aftermarket options (other than full custom) that could replace the front/rear seats and door panels with a more neutral leather.

Hope this is in the right forum, thanks for reading.

--james

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

My first reaction to this was that I was going to write -

"Dude, I don't know you, and I don't mean this in personal way, but I want to kick you in the nuts. The seats are un-supportive enough as it is and people are sliding around on the cloth too much. Please don't put leather in an STi, it just does not seem right; it is not what the car is about."

But then, I thought, that's only my opinion/take on the car. I suppose you could just trade with someone who has the leather, limited WRX interior. I'm sure you can find someone to do this. To each their own. But if you take out the STi seats, can I have them?

SMR
    A customer came into the dealership to ask about some parts, and as we chatted, it came up that he had aftermarket leather installed, or more appropriately, leather bolsters and a real suede center. He says he likes it for day to day, but he misses the old seats when he's driving hard in the twisties. I voiced concern over inhibited airbag deployment, and he said the company he went to made sure that they used "breakaway" stitching. Personally, I would keep the normal seats....
    Wow, just wow

:p silversubabb

Step off my nuts fool!

Seriously though, I remember reading in another thread where someone called the sti seats "fat people" seats. I suppose if you're young and lithe you had a penchant for autocross, you'd probably slide around some on leather, in my case (being an old fatass) i don't think the lateral motion would be that bad. Especially since most of my normal driving is going to be the boring ass work-home trek.

Like you said, it ends up being a matter of opinion. On a side note, I'm really not a big fan of the two-tone interior as well, regardless of the material used. However a lot of people really seem to like it. Of course, my other two complaints are the monster hood scoop and monster rear wing. Two features prominent displayed (and probably appreciated by most others) in the STi.

Of course, I don't know, the alcantra (or whatever material) may grow on me with time.

--james

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSubaab
    My first reaction to this was that I was going to write -

"Dude, I don't know you, and I don't mean this in personal way, but I want to kick you in the nuts. The seats are un-supportive enough as it is and people are sliding around on the cloth too much. Please don't put leather in an STi, it just does not seem right; it is not what the car is about."

But then, I thought, that's only my opinion/take on the car. I suppose you could just trade with someone who has the leather, limited WRX interior. I'm sure you can find someone to do this. To each their own. But if you take out the STi seats, can I have them?

seat leather affecting airbags?

SMR,

He just had the seats replaced with leather (i,e, seats only)? How would that affect the airbag deployment? I thought the sti only had front and side airbags?

--james

Quote Originally Posted by SMR
    I voiced concern over inhibited airbag deployment, and he said the company he went to made sure that they used "breakaway" stitching.

you should trade me the STi interior for my TR interior.....