Audio quality opinions...

This is a discussion on Audio quality opinions... within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was recently told by someone who does regular installs and who used to work for a shop that the ...

Audio quality opinions...

I was recently told by someone who does regular installs and who used to work for a shop that the ideal audio setup in a sedan for pure sound quality would be to run components up front and just midbasses in the rear...not co-axials. Does anyone know anything as to the reasoning or if this is the general rule of thumb? I don't mind buying either or for the Sube, but I just don't want the rear passengers feeling cheated, ya know? I have never been in a car that had just midbass speakers in the rear, just full range. I know the WRX isn't the best car to talk about sound quality with...I was just wondering if some of the real knowledgable audio guys could step up and give me an opinion here.
    2004 WRX Sedan (SRR...Premium) SOLD

2012 WRX Plasma Blue 5-door

"Dude, the Chinaman is not the issue here. We're talking about unchecked agression here."

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

yeah that would be a nice setup but I doubt you could notice the mids in the rear. I've sat in the back of my car and most of the noise I hear is the exhaust and the sub. I would rather have the coaxials in the rear to help clean up the sound in the back seat and set the gains to highs and mids only. Let the sub do all the bass.

Well It's basically a matter of opinion. When I competed in IASCA back in the day I had a MB Quart 6, 4, tweet component set in my front doors and a set of 6 1/2 inch co-axials in the rear. They were set at a volume so in the front seats you could just barely hear them. They were pretty much non existent. The sound quality judge thought they were too loud. I didn't think so and left them alone. Next time, different judge, thought they were fine. I never had passengers in the back so after awhile I took them out completely. I've never put them back in. The car was a two door 93 Acura Integra GSR so I never had people in the rear much. One of the guys here at my shop doesn't run rears either. I've never really hear just midbass in the rear. In my opinion for the rear passengers it would sound like crap. They'll get alot of the midbass from up front carried to the rear but will be missing the highs cause their more directional and will probably be blocked by the people in the front seats. Plus now they have this other midbass firing at them in the rear doors. Doesn't sound like a good idea to me. If your trying to get more midbass I would spend the money and do it up front. I haven't got anything in my Subie yet but I plan on putting co-axials in the rear cause I will have passengers back there now. The idea is to have a nice strong front stage. You don't go to a concert and stand with your back to the stage. If you put rears in you want them just to help fill in the sound and complement the front stage. It really just depends on what your looking for. It doesn't matter what people say is the right thing to do, everybody listens to music different and what matters is how you like the way it sounds. I would probably put them in the rear and then use the fader on the deck when you want a little bit more or less.
    "I see us as being in the art business. Art, entertainment and mobile sculpture, which, coincidentally, also happens to provide transportation."--Bob Lutz

www.audiointegrations.net

It makes sense if you're talking only about sound quality for the front. Like wrxintegrations said, it wouldn't be good for those in the back seat. Did the person who originally told you this mention anything about where this would benefit you? He may have only been speaking about the sound quality for the driver.