Garmin Street Pilot C330
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Garmin Street Pilot C330 within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well, back-to-back years being platinum with Marriott gave me enough points to get a gps for the subie. I'm getting ...

Garmin Street Pilot C330

Well, back-to-back years being platinum with Marriott gave me enough points to get a gps for the subie. I'm getting off the road and am going to start doing some of the mods I've been dreaming of for the past two years. I got it yesterday and have it stuck to my windshield for now but am looking at hardwiring it and doing a more permanent mount in the cockpit. If anyone has done or seen this done anywhere give me some feedback. Right now I'm thinking of mounting it just in front of the ashtray. I'm relocating with a new job and getting off the road, so look for some pics of my install in a couple of weeks once I get moved. Oh, and on a side note, any one in the Canton/Akron, OH area let me know if there are any other enthusiasts in the area.
    from the outside looking in you don't understand from the inside looking out you can't explaine

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The Garmin C330 is a great little unit. I am sure you will enjoy it. As far as mounting, I use a ram mount for mine. http://www.ram-mount.com/ the place I buy the parts from is www.gpscity.com . With the RAM mounts you can mix and match 100's of mounting bases and arms and the GPS cradle. I still use mine just up in the window. I don't hardwire it becasue I rarely travel long enough to drain the batteries fully before I can recharge.

With the ram mount you could use a 1-Inch ball diamond mounted down by the lighter and use a short arm to position the unit where you want.

Fell free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions. I use RAM for all my mounting.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by WRXNavigation; 03-12-2006 at 07:02 PM.

Is the GPS receiver built-in to the unit? I think that mounting it down low near the ash tray would hamper your abilities to receive satellite signals.
    Mine: '05 PSM WRX 5MT Sport Wagon, Cobb AP
    Wife's: '05 SRR 2.5RS 5MT Sport Wagon

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell
    Is the GPS receiver built-in to the unit? I think that mounting it down low near the ash tray would hamper your abilities to receive satellite signals.

The C330 does have the antenna built into the top. But it also has a port for an external antenna connection. That would be required for it to operate properly mounted low. You can buy a magnetic, external GPS antena from eBay for $20 or so. They work great, even better then the units internal antenna.

Once you have the magnetic antenna you can mount the GPS virtually anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell
    I was on the road yesterday and drove with it down low by the ashtray and had no problems. I figured it would not be optimal in all conditions but was surprised at how good the reception was. A great improvement over the first one I used over 10 years ago!!
    from the outside looking in you don't understand from the inside looking out you can't explaine

Ya, the GPS units are amazing now. My first GPS always had to be rebooted becasue it would get confused and stop updating the right coordinates. Now they aquire in less than 1 minute and can give locations in real time accurate to a few feet. The C330 has a very good antenna in the top. Mine often works fine finding signal in my apartment, not near any windows. But I would imagine that once in a urban environment with tall buildings the GPS may have a hard time holding lock while driving. The external mag mount antennas on ebay work great and they are slightly amplified. They will allow the C330 to hold signal almost anywhere.

Well...sorry for the long wait but I've been fairly busy getting set up here. Any ways I got distracted with a new Alpine Head Unit install with the Forester Din. Still playing around with where I want to mount the GPS. I got tired of it sitting down low because it was too difficult to look down for a street name or something. So, looks like I'll do it on the window. I'll post some pics of it when I get it done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0956.jpg   100_0957.jpg   100_0958.jpg  

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.