Boost guage off-zero
Results 1 to 8 of 8

This is a discussion on Boost guage off-zero within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a VDO mechanical boost guage that I used on an old AWD Talon I used to have. I ...

  1. #1
    Registered User REX2ning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Posts
    38

    Boost guage off-zero

    I have a VDO mechanical boost guage that I used on an old AWD Talon I used to have. I was about to install it on my 02' WRX when I noticed that the needle on the guage is already sitting on 1 lb of boost, not on zero. Is my guage broke or will it fix itself once it gets a reading? Also, am I retarded for installing a mechanical boost guage?

    Thanks,
    Tim

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    east northport ny
    Posts
    153
    this is a problem for alot of mechanical gauges, if you look at an autometer gauge, the zero is a large area of the gauge, the needle is never 100% where it needs to be, sometimes even out of the box, try giving it a little vacuum or boost with your lung charger and see if it corrects at all.

    an no you are not retarded for installing a mechanical gauge, better than no gauge at all, and if you choose one day get something with a stepping motor.
    oops

  4. #3
    Registered User orvtech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    1,077

    Really ?

    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx
    this is a problem for alot of mechanical gauges, if you look at an autometer gauge, the zero is a large area of the gauge, the needle is never 100% where it needs to be, sometimes even out of the box, try giving it a little vacuum or boost with your lung charger and see if it corrects at all.

    an no you are not retarded for installing a mechanical gauge, better than no gauge at all, and if you choose one day get something with a stepping motor.
    Really ?

    - n00b question on the way -

    whats the benefit of a boots gauge ?
    do you recommend one ?

  5. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    east northport ny
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by orvtech
    Really ?

    yeah look how big the zero zone is


    - n00b question on the way -

    whats the benefit of a boots gauge ?
    do you recommend one ?
    on a stock car not many aside from seeing how climate/altitude is affecting how much boost you are running, also you could tell if you were severly underboosted because of a part failure or boost leak etc.

    on a modified car boost control is very important and a quality boost gauge can alert you to the fact that you are not hitting targed boost. if you are overboosting/boost creep and other dangerous conditions.

    im sure others will post more
    oops

  6. #5
    Registered User orvtech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    1,077
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx
    on a stock car not many aside from seeing how climate/altitude is affecting how much boost you are running, also you could tell if you were severly underboosted because of a part failure or boost leak etc.

    on a modified car boost control is very important and a quality boost gauge can alert you to the fact that you are not hitting targed boost. if you are overboosting/boost creep and other dangerous conditions.

    im sure others will post more
    so... for my stock wrx it will only let me know if it is underboosting but it has no other usefull (besides looking cool) use ?

  7. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    east northport ny
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by orvtech
    so... for my stock wrx it will only let me know if it is underboosting but it has no other usefull (besides looking cool) use ?
    pretty much

    i guess it would also let you know if the wastegate failed and you could theretically hit high boost levels. which would also be good to know, or any other failure factors which would cause boost to fluctuate. it may also interest to see the peak boost you are hitting in various gears
    oops

  8. #7
    Registered User REX2ning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Posts
    38
    Good advice on the boost gauge as a nessecity. Before throwing on any engine mod its always safest/best to see how the motor is responding as far as boost levels go, hence the gauge.

    Ill give correcting the gauge manually a shot. I never would have thought that I could do it myself like that.

    Thanks,
    Tim

  9. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    east northport ny
    Posts
    153
    well you wopuldnt really be correcting it, but from sitting the nidle may just be sticking/and by giving it some pressure/vacuum you could free it up.
    oops

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •