Radar Detectors??
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Radar Detectors?? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Whats a good Radar Detector? Ya know, the cop finder things to scan ahead to see if a cop is ...

Radar Detectors??

Whats a good Radar Detector? Ya know, the cop finder things to scan ahead to see if a cop is posted??

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by WRXgotit
    Whats a good Radar Detector? Ya know, the cop finder things to scan ahead to see if a cop is posted??

I use a 50$$ cobra. Picks em up good.
    My money pit

I Support ClubWRX
    Valentine 1. There is no substitute.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

I use a Beltronics RX-65 and it usually gives me a couple miles warning on the iterstate and enough to react on back roads. I found the cheapos work fine for the highways, but don't have a good enough range to save you on back roads. Here is a good website http://www.radarbusters.com/google/d...asp?wcw=google
    New England F4

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCJ99 View Post
    205 whp on a STOCK wrx??? I find that to be a bit hard to believe. My 2006 WRX ran 188 whp with Injen CAI, HKS BOV, HKS Downpipe and HKS carbon ti exhaust... How can a STOCK WRX run 205 whp??? I'd like to see dyno sheets to back that one up...

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07
    Valentine 1. There is no substitute.
    +1

The laser detector on the V1 has saved me many times because it's good at picking up scatter.

Quote Originally Posted by WRXgotit
    Try the best battery operated one made. A Solo S2. The battery life is very long. 2-3 months and it's highly rated. Expensive but the best.
    Duplicolor, "Scratch Fix 2 in 1" Pewter met. #NG GM 490
    is a perfect match touch up paint for the stock (newer style) '05+ gun metal wheels.

I've had the V-1 for a couple months so far and haven't gotten a ticket yet...knock on wood...
    <----Yup that's ME!

"I hope you die today" - BUD/s Instructor to MIDN McIntyre

Cops: "Are you concidered human?"
    Bruce: "Negative I am a meat popcicle"

My Cars: http://www.rpi.edu/~hartls/

is a radar detector/scanner better than just a plain radar detector?

Don't forget about the laser function... more and more staties are using laser guns instead of radar guns... Don't just get a radar detector, make sure it has laser capabilities as well.
    NEW ENGLAND F4

TUNERNetwork.com
    Great site for anyone in the north east.

the V1 is the best by far. but its also big $. I use a $100 cobra that i bought like 5 years ago. still works fine.
    '04 Aspen White WRX

Passpost X8500 is the best you can get. It's about $300 and I heard it's a little better than V1 or equal but cheaper. I have this for about 7 months and it saved me a lot.
    2005 Ubaru Impreza WRX Sedan Crystal Grey Metallic
    Mods: In my profile
    http://www.myspace.com/scottycruz

From what I have read laser detectors, no matter the make, are only good at letting you know when you have been caught so you have a few more seconds to compose yourself. They make laser jammers ~500 that detect and then jam laser which are supposed to give you enough buffer to slow down. If they use laser heavily in your area you might want to look into this or not waste the money on the radar detector.
    New England F4

205 whp on a STOCK wrx??? I find that to be a bit hard to believe. My 2006 WRX ran 188 whp with Injen CAI, HKS BOV, HKS Downpipe and HKS carbon ti exhaust... How can a STOCK WRX run 205 whp??? I'd like to see dyno sheets to back that one up...

Quote Originally Posted by Trainable
    From what I have read laser detectors, no matter the make, are only good at letting you know when you have been caught so you have a few more seconds to compose yourself. They make laser jammers ~500 that detect and then jam laser which are supposed to give you enough buffer to slow down. If they use laser heavily in your area you might want to look into this or not waste the money on the radar detector.
    Regardless of what magazines say, my V1 laser detection has given me warning at more than 1/4 mile due to the reflected laser from cars being gunned within 500 ft of the cops. I have yet to be caught, and I have run across laser equipped cops at least once a month for three years. I continually have plenty of time to slow down before they focus on me.

Any kind of jammer is probably illegal, at least I know they are here. Radar/laser detectors are legal, and though I've not been pulled over since I bought it, my friends have been pulled over with radar detectors operating and on the windshield, and only been warned. Jammers of any kind open you up to fines and severe penalties here.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by VVVV
    Regardless of what magazines say, my V1 laser detection has given me warning at more than 1/4 mile due to the reflected laser from cars being gunned within 500 ft of the cops. I have yet to be caught, and I have run across laser equipped cops at least once a month for three years. I continually have plenty of time to slow down before they focus on me.

Any kind of jammer is probably illegal, at least I know they are here. Radar/laser detectors are legal, and though I've not been pulled over since I bought it, my friends have been pulled over with radar detectors operating and on the windshield, and only been warned. Jammers of any kind open you up to fines and severe penalties here.
    This is so true. If it were a fact that a laser detector basically just informs you when you get pegged, then each model would detect at exactly the same distance correct? In fact, the V1 detects at a much greater distance due to it's ability to pick up scatter as VVV mentioned above. It's save me a few times.

There have been recent reviews of the top of the line Bell and Cobra models that show a slightly advantage over the V1 when it comes to POP radar (instant on). Although this may be the case, what they fail to metion is that for all other models except the V1 is that this detection feature is defeatable....it can be turned off by the owner. Why would you do this you may wonder? It's because when it is set to detec POP, the nuisance alarms become so numerous it makes the feature virtually useless, thus necessiating the need to "turn that dam4n5 thing off".
    The V1 has never once falsed on a POP for me. That is, the new v1.8 software hasn't. The older version did every now and then.
    Can't say enough about the arrows and front rear antenaes. The best evahhhhh!
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Quote Originally Posted by VVVV
    Any kind of jammer is probably illegal
    Radar yes and in every state. Laser has yet to be made illegal in most states.
    New England F4

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast