AutoMeter gauge bezel with Stewart Warner guages

This is a discussion on AutoMeter gauge bezel with Stewart Warner guages within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I got the AutoMeter dual gauge bezel (Feb 06), and two Stewart Warner guages to put in it. I was ...

AutoMeter gauge bezel with Stewart Warner guages

I got the AutoMeter dual gauge bezel (Feb 06), and two Stewart Warner guages to put in it. I was looking for guages that were black faced, white letters, and a silver bezel. Nothing too fancy, ie: AutoMeter Cobalt, and these fit nicely. The font is similar, though not quite exact, to the stock gauges, and they're relatively cheap (~$50). The left guage is an electric oil temp guage, and the right is an analog vacuum/boost gauge. Below are shots of the gauges & bezel installed. My gripes with the AutoMeter bezel are similar to what they've alwasy been: the bezel doesn't quite fit how it should, and the gloss black paint should be a flat dark grey. The gauges are nice, but the lighting is too bright & theres a dark spot in the boost gauge. Overall though, they make a nice guage package, something that doesn't scream out, "Look at my fancy gauges!"

Day

Night

keywords: boost gauge oil temp temperature autometer bezel install installation mounting
    Last edited by 68sprintb; 03-07-2006 at 01:15 AM.
    Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon
    Stewart Warner Boost & Oil temp gauges / OEM 20 mm rear bar
    Cobb stg 2 / STi uppipe / Crucial Racing downpipe
    Stromung 2.5" catless centerpipe / Scooby Sport New Age centre pipe & backbox

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I don't know why your gauges are so bright. I have the same stewart warner gauges and they are about the same brightness as the dash lights. Where did you tap for the gauge backlighting? I hooked mine up so they would dim by tapping into the unused connector behind the radio. The only thing I don't like about these gauges are that the needle isn't lit at night.

that's where i tapped too, the connection for the factory boost gauge. weird... yeah i hate that the needle isn't lit too, it should be.
    Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon

I really like the stewart warner gauges because I have seen that they are accurate and they perfectly match the interior. Do the backlights of your gauges dim with the factory ones? It should if you tapped into the spare plug. The unlit needle is really bothering me. I am debating on getting the three 60mm defi link setup for the dash pod but I am reluctant to spend that kind of money on gauges. I am going to pay off some bills first and then I will see what happens with my gauge purchases. As of now I only have the one stewart warner boost gauge in the three 52mm autometer dash pod. I didn't fill the pod yet because I wanted to see how one stewart warner gauge would work out before I made the purchase for all three.

funny, ive never heard of stewart warner guages. they a cheap brand?

They are affordable but are pretty high quality. They have been around for ages. They started out making aircraft gauges back in the day and then started producing auto. They have beeen around so long that my father says he used to use them in his musclecars. Most people that are big into domestic cars know these gauges.

Quote Originally Posted by 06-wrx
    They are affordable but are pretty high quality. They have been around for ages. They started out making aircraft gauges back in the day and then started producing auto. They have beeen around so long that my father says he used to use them in his musclecars. Most people that are big into domestic cars know these gauges.
    Exactly. Aside from the needle not lighting, they're great. I think they market em mainly to the domestic/muscle car crowd but they work everywhere cuz they're a simple design, nothing fancy with different colors, ie: autometer.
    Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon

Tallahassee, FL is home... Memphis, TN for school
    Quote Originally Posted by 06-wrx
    I don't know why your gauges are so bright. I have the same stewart warner gauges and they are about the same brightness as the dash lights. Where did you tap for the gauge backlighting? I hooked mine up so they would dim by tapping into the unused connector behind the radio. The only thing I don't like about these gauges are that the needle isn't lit at night.
    Same with my Omri gauges, they are a bit brighter but they do not dim with the rest of the lights... I think that the previous owner of ym car tapped into the clock or something.

Speaking of tapping in for back lighting, how do I identify the unused connector behind the radio?

I really like your guage set up! SW gauges are really great, I've got them in my '68 Firebird.

That looks awesome, do you have part numbers for the bezels by any chance?
    New England F4
    www.OddTopic.net - my pet project, come say hello!
    '02 BUGEYE
    "One's level of fear is directly proportional to their preparedness for it's source"
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pzary3233
    Same with my Omri gauges, they are a bit brighter but they do not dim with the rest of the lights... I think that the previous owner of ym car tapped into the clock or something.

Speaking of tapping in for back lighting, how do I identify the unused connector behind the radio?

I really like your guage set up! SW gauges are really great, I've got them in my '68 Firebird.
    The unused connector behind the radio is usually taped to the radio wiring harness, and sticks out from the wiring. The two wires into it are orange/white & purple. Should be easy to spot.
    Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Kush
    That looks awesome, do you have part numbers for the bezels by any chance?
    It's part number ATM-20015 from Summit Racing. http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
    Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon

I've got the same set-up except with Autometer Nexus gauges. I LOVE it!! You can get the gauge bezel from egauges.com as well.
    Russ - 2005 WRB Wagon
    Cobb Stage 2 and other stuff….

Tallahassee, FL is home... Memphis, TN for school
    Quote Originally Posted by 68sprintb
    The unused connector behind the radio is usually taped to the radio wiring harness, and sticks out from the wiring. The two wires into it are orange/white & purple. Should be easy to spot.
    Thanks, I am going to move my back lighting from the clock circut to that that wire!