Alarm/Sensor Help

This is a discussion on Alarm/Sensor Help within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So some of you might have read that my car was vandalized by some punks this weekend... so, in order ...

Alarm/Sensor Help

So some of you might have read that my car was vandalized by some punks this weekend...

so, in order to help deter something like this from happening again, I want to try and add some kind of sensor to my car.

The thing is, I know nothing about this. I have the '06 reg. WRX sedan ... not the TR or limited .. and I know it has that stock security system on it. My car honks at me when I open the trunk with the key w/out using the keyless entry.

I would like to add some kind of sensor to my car.. proximity or shock .. but preferably proximity, that will work with the stock alarm system - I basically want to keep it as cheap as possible and not install some big aftermarket alarm system.

What I want is something sensitive enough to detect people standing right by my car.. so if someone walks by it, it will warn them (chirp or beep.. ).. and if they touch the car or get even closer it will sound. It's just to keep the amature kids from doing what they did to my car - im not out to prevent pro thieves or anything.

I would also like to be able to disable and enable it when I want to - that way I can arm it only when I am parked at my house instead of having it armed all the time where it will be going off in parking lots and stuff. It's just for keeping my car safe at home in front of my house.

Does anybody have any advice?
    - Anna

Wise men say forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User GetawayInBouldr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish.Car.Bomb
    I would like to add some kind of sensor to my car.. proximity or shock .. but preferably proximity, that will work with the stock alarm system - I basically want to keep it as cheap as possible and not install some big aftermarket alarm system.
    Finding something that will work in conjunction with the stock alarm is not going to be easy, if even possible.

Proximity sensors, in my experience, only make people want to screw with your car more. It's like it becomes a challenge for them to make your car say "Step away from the vehicle". Plus, prox sensors like to go off when cats and other animals of the night walk by your car. More hassle than it's worth, IMHO.

I would recommend going down to a local place that sells car audio/security that you are comfortable with (Best Buy, Circuit City, Car Toys, etc) and talk to them about installing an alarm. Low end for a GOOD alarm system is about $200 to $250 installed. Hope this helps!
    ~ Silver Wagon Club ~