Kartboy SS stripped thread!!! AHH!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Kartboy SS stripped thread!!! AHH! within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; so as i was installing the Kartboy SS ...when putting the shifter in place into its socket, i used a ...

Registered User TheFugitiveMind's Avatar

Unhappy Kartboy SS stripped thread!!! AHH!

so as i was installing the Kartboy SS ...when putting the shifter in place into its socket, i used a regular metal hammer instead of a plastic hammer because i didnt have one or knew anyone who does. yeah yeah i know...bad idea..... with the hammer it took forever and some good hits to get it in.

well i got it in..and when i go to put my shift knob back on (STi Titanium one) it wouldnt go..and pretty much destroyed the crappy plastic threads on my shift knob.

upon further inspection..i noticed that the 1st thread on the SS was bent or like mushroomed..so i decided to take a nut of the same size and try to straighten it out, turns out that the SS is hardened and destroyed my nut becasue it was a softer metal than the SS.

now...im mad and im gonna have to shift without a knob for awhile , it feels kinda funny,

i was thinking about using a tap and Die kit to rethread it. but what if i buy the kit and it happens that the metal thats used in the Die kit be softer than the SS. i dont want to take that risk.

do you guys have any suggestions?? or is my brand new Kartboy SS a $120 paperweight!!!

THANKS!!!!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You could just get a new shift knob. My Momo knob is universal. It doesn't have any threading, you just use set-screws. That's probably your best bet right now.
    Try not, do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
    Mods

try using a file to clean the thread up before using a die on it. if the tip is mushroomed the die will not be able to grab correctly. if the thread mushroomed or bent then it isn't hardened. hardened steel will break and shatter before it will bend, it is just of a harder grade.
    So Cal F4 member #19

cool!! ill try to file it tomorrow to see if it works!!!

if not..ill just buy a single die and hope for the best.

i believe the thread size is M12 1.25???

THANKS FOR THE QUICK RESPONSE!!!!

not sure of thread size though. could take a shift knob with you to match a bolt to get the size.

good luck.
    So Cal F4 member #19

well i filed the threads and it worked perfectly!!!!! im really excited now! ha ha...kinda bummed that my STi knob is crapped out. but the stock knob works fine!

does anyone wanna sell me thier Subaru MOMO shift knob?? he heh e

THANKS GUYS!!!!!!!!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Glad you worked it out... I did the same to my shifter and just took a little file and smoothed out the top part then cleaned the threads with a die...
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

right on. glad it worked out for you.
    So Cal F4 member #19

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.