Shift light
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Shift light within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I know alot of people think shift lights are stupid in our cars. BUt i really want one. Nothing big. ...

Shift light

I know alot of people think shift lights are stupid in our cars. BUt i really want one. Nothing big. Just a little light i can mount on the dash. Does anybody have any suggestions?? Besides telling me i dont need one...lol.
    My money pit

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

http://www.turboxs.com/more_info.php?ID=212

yes, its mainly a knock indicater, but it does also have a progammable shift light in it. so you get 2 great things in one!

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart Racer
    That's a nice light.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red

I don't understand. We have a shift light...It's called a tach. What's the point of it?
    Dead is Hard. Life is Much Easier. Be Adequite.
    -Lindsay Lohan

Sometimes, in the heat of the battle a reminder is a good thing. When I am on the track I am looking ahead not at my tach.

Sometimes, in the heat of the battle a reminder is a good thing. When I am on the track I am looking ahead not at my tach.
    how high is it mounted?
    -Lindsay Lohan

It is mounted in the center AC vent. You can't see the unit until it lights.

I built a tiny tach bar for myself. I got all jazzed up watching F1 one day, where they have the tachometer as a series of lights on the steering wheel. Mine is mounted at the edge of the instrument cluster, right by the top of the steering wheel. From my vantage point, it appears just under the rim of the steering wheel. Since our wheel has so many turns lock-to-lock, it wouldn't be practical mounted directly to the wheel.

Mine is 6 surface-mount LEDs in a row. They light up progressively then all blink when I hit my shift point. Now I'm working on version 2, which has a dual-stage shift indicator. I want it to tell me to upshift when I'm cruising around, hopefully saving some gas in the process.

Anyway, I don't know how geeky you are, but maybe this is food for thought.
    ribonucleic acid freakout

It is mounted in the center AC vent. You can't see the unit until it lights.
    can you see something in that location any easier than the tach? seems you would still have to kind of take your eyes off the road. The idea is growing on me.
    -Lindsay Lohan

Quote Originally Posted by dielectric
    I built a tiny tach bar for myself. I got all jazzed up watching F1 one day, where they have the tachometer as a series of lights on the steering wheel. Mine is mounted at the edge of the instrument cluster, right by the top of the steering wheel. From my vantage point, it appears just under the rim of the steering wheel. Since our wheel has so many turns lock-to-lock, it wouldn't be practical mounted directly to the wheel.

Mine is 6 surface-mount LEDs in a row. They light up progressively then all blink when I hit my shift point. Now I'm working on version 2, which has a dual-stage shift indicator. I want it to tell me to upshift when I'm cruising around, hopefully saving some gas in the process.

I like this set up. can you do a write up on how you did this? I have an '05 WRX, will this work for my car?

Quote Originally Posted by dielectric

Yeah man, that sounds pretty cool. I'd like to know how much it cost and how hard it was to install. Also, pics please.
    Thanks.
    Try not, do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
    Mods

I built this thing from scratch, so unless you're handy with a microcontroller it might be difficult. A how-to article would mostly be me sitting at a computer, then slinging solder.

Total cost is probably < $10 for parts, and the install was just like any other shift light. I did it because I'm cheap, sort of like the Gtech-like thing I'm working on now. I found a cheap surplus accelerometer, so I'm hooking it up to a little LCD display. Fun stuff.

If you wanted to buy one, mine looks a lot like this:
    http://www.race-sport.net/revlite.html

Here's a guy who put one in his WRX:
    http://www.wrxforum.com/cgi-bin/ulti...c;f=3;t=005730

Josh
    ribonucleic acid freakout

i'm interested in making it myself. what parts did you use? and how did you make it?

you want this. easy to hook up and has a prelight and shift light

get it at velocity shop
    oops

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast