Plug n' Play boost guage.

This is a discussion on Plug n' Play boost guage. within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Need one, gonna get a MBC, and well, I need a boost guage. Some considerations. As few as possible mods ...

Plug n' Play boost guage.

Need one, gonna get a MBC, and well, I need a boost guage.

Some considerations. As few as possible mods to firewall/interior being the main consideration.

PSI readout/display too, I could in theory just memorize the bar conversion, but PSI display would be easier.

Price as well. Not el-cheapo, but nothing fancy either. Simple and robust and accurate, asthetics are a non-factor, besides being easy to read.

I've poked about on some websites, but can't really come to any soild conclusion. I bought this car for "bang for the buck" and its a theme I use alot in life. I just don't know enough about boost guages to make an informed decision. Are the pricey guages *that* much better? I've already decided on the MBC, that was more along the empirical side anyways. Better materials=better product. Guages tho throw me for a loop. Electronic/analog?

What's y'alls concensus?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

There's really no such thing as plug n' play when it comes to boost guages but electric guages will be easier to install then mechanical guages. A good quality boost guage that's not to expensive would be the Autometer Sport-Comp 2" boost guage. It's a mechanical guage but the install is pretty easy. The best part is It's only $51.00.

http://www.optauto.com/webstore/prod...k=yes&dept=389
    2005 WRX STI Black/Gold

If you're thinking bang for the buck, then there's only Autometer and VDO gauges to consider.

Check out the websites to see which design suits you the best.

I happen to have the Sport Comp mentioned above. Suits my purposes and seemd accurate.

The install for elect vs. Mech isn't that different. The mech has a vacuum line and a the electric one has wires.

The pass-through ( a rubber stopper like thing) is behind the brakes so going through the firewall is cake.

The install is just a matter of tapping the right line and tapping the right wires and mounting the gauge.

I've actually had some issues in my gauge installation (due to circumstances)...I go over it in detail. you can try a search using my username and autometer.

Yeah, the gauge question was big for me...I've read almost every thread on the subject so PM me if got specific Q's.

dan.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

Re: Plug n' Play boost guage.

Originally posted by brembo
    Need one, gonna get a MBC, and well, I need a boost guage.
    ...What's y'alls concensus?
    Good question that I've had too, I was thinking about the Blitz Dual TT, it has a boost gauge built in, should be easy to mount by the ashtray and is in (I think) both PSI and KPA.

Anyone have any input on this idea?

Thanks
    '00 M5 ...with stuff
    '07 Moto Guzzi Griso ...also has stuff

Re: Re: Plug n' Play boost guage.

Originally posted by JCampbell

Good question that I've had too, I was thinking about the Blitz Dual TT, it has a boost gauge built in, should be easy to mount by the ashtray and is in (I think) both PSI and KPA.

Anyone have any input on this idea?

Thanks
    That would work, but personally I like seeing a needle moving. It's much easier to read
    2oo2 WRX Sdn
    'less is more'

blitz is nice, it has dual function
    Turbo timer and boost gauge
    awesome
    wait, boost gauge or boost controller?
    and it's cheap too

I think most if not all TT have a boost gauge. So do the Electronic Boost controllers. And yes, I probably will end up w/ 3 boost gauges when it's all done...analog fails at a linear (or predictable) manner, so that's helpful.

I prefer having a gauge dedicated to boost. I like seeing a needle too. A boost gauge is very active, even on what seems to be a steady speed on the freeway. The slightest variance in the gas pedal affects boost (mainly because it's in vacuum most of the time). Having a digital display constantly changing would seem annoying and difficult to read.
    I started to see a pattern between my foot, boost and car...it's helped me to be a more efficient driver. Such patterns may be difficult to see on a digital.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

Originally posted by QuickSilver
    I think most if not all TT have a boost gauge. So do the Electronic Boost controllers....
    I'm pretty sure that the Blitz is the only TT with a boost gauge. The HKS, Greddy and Apex'i all have different 'extra' features.
    '00 M5 ...with stuff
    '07 Moto Guzzi Griso ...also has stuff

Went with the VDO, as it was in stock and cheap as dirt. Got the common size, so if I do get a wild hair and decide on a bezel, I can do as much.

Now I impatiently awiat my JoeP and gauge, I like the big brown truck!

Thanks y'all.

QuickSilver, nice name ya got there

Dan

Originally posted by brembo

QuickSilver, nice name ya got there

Dan [/B]
    Honestly, I think a third of the regular members are named "Dan" and another third are "Jim's". REALLY.

Makes you wonder if these are truly our names or are we all that paranoid.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual