Racing Harness Questions
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Racing Harness Questions within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Is it possible to mount some racing harnesses (4-point) into an 2005 STI without installing that harness bar through the ...

Racing Harness Questions

Is it possible to mount some racing harnesses (4-point) into an 2005 STI without installing that harness bar through the back seat?? If so who makes some good ones??

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i was wondering the same thing.. i would get a harness bar if it wasnt so uncomfortable for my passengers, but the bar sits right in front of the passengers faces.
    EVO III 16g'd wagon
    stock tranny goin strong
    .. already ready for a bigger turbo
    - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chanwahyaoh
    Sometimes after I go poo, I just blank out and mindlessly continue my upward wipe all the way up the small of my back and end up smearing brown all over myself. Just kidding. That sucks about your laundry though...

Good call because when I look at pictures of that bar installed it screws your back seat passengers. When I look at the harnesses online they call have bolts on on the ends, so can you screw them in under your seats are what??

The problem with bolting the harness to the floor under your seat is called submarining. If you got into an accident with the harness bolted the floor as your body pushed foward it would actually pull down on your shoulders and crush your spine and upper body. You need the mount points to be high in order for a harness to help. The only thing I would ever think of doing with out a harness bar or a cage would be Scrath(spelling?) harnesses. They are a happy medium between a full on harness and harness bar and your regular seat belt. I am too lazy to get a link or anything right now.

I Support ClubWRX
    Schroth Harness!
    http://www.soloracer.com/wrxstirallye4.html
    Click the link to the blog for more install photos. That's the easiest way to get a decent harness in your car without having a bar. And, It's easy as hell to take them out and use the regular belts (if you have back seat passengers).
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

^ SCHROTH is the name of the company you are looking for. they make some great belts. some are even DOT legal, so you can legally use them on the streets. you can easily mount them to existing seat belt anchors on the vehicle... and certain models have a quick release in the back so you can disconnect it for passenger use.

as for mounting the belts, you NEVER want to mount the rear anchors to the floor. Not for fear of submarining (thats a different issue) but for fear of spinal compression due to the belts pulling you DOWN in the event of an impact.

submarining is why they make submarine belts... or what people call the crotch belt. in an impact, the body will go forward and if the upper body has no movement, it will want to slide out below the harness... which is quite bad. schroth specifically addresses this in their design to reduce this effect without a submarine belt by allowing the shoulder straps to stretch.
    Yes, that is me in my avatar! Kid's don't try this at home.
    CLICKY to view My Extensive Mod List!

you can mount the shoulder belt to the mounting bolt for the rear center shoulder belt in the back seat. i ran that setup for an SCCA season, but wouldn't recomend it for the street, or any harness in general, they don't allow enough lateral movement in the case of an accident in a street car. as far as belt options, you have many, i would recomend any 3" webbed belt w/ a cam or similar locking device.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.